RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Kit/Scratch Built
        Question Any tips on biulding a 1/6 scale piper cub kit?

#1 bouncy-boy Apr 10, 2007 04:49 PM

Any tips on biulding a 1/6 scale piper cub kit?

Hi all, I am going to be building a great planes piper cub and i have built smaller kits before, but before i get started does anyone have any tips?

#2 ElectRick Apr 10, 2007 07:29 PM

Tips? Only general ones.

I've built a Great Planes kit or several, and they are quite nice, but the wood can be very heavy in places. After all, they are designed for glow engine vibration. Many of the ones I built had a lot of solid balsa blocks in them--unacceptable for electric conversion. Either hollow out the blocks or remake the part from formers and balsa sheeting.

Keep the plane as light as possible. Always think in terms of adding minimal weight when you make your glue, covering, accessories, and equipment choices.

Substitute lighter or thinner wood for heavy solid sheet stock, solid blocks, or plywood if you even think it may be too heavy. Electric airframes don't need the heavy plywood and beefy solid structures that glow does. You'd be surprised at what you can get away with insofar as removing excess wood goes.

Look through other build threads for others who have done similar Cub conversion projects. You will find many Cub conversions, with many choices for motors and battery setups from cheap Chinese motors to expensive ones. I recently did a 72" Graupner/Blackhorse Cub ARF using this motor on a 4S2P 4200 mah pack. Flies great.

Rick

#3 P. Tritle Apr 10, 2007 08:34 PM

Bouncy, If you're looking for "Scale Flight", KEEP IT LIGHT!

PAT

#4 bouncy-boy Apr 11, 2007 02:51 PM

alright im gonna get into this and ill try to keep you guys updated.