RC Groups

RC Groups
    Flying Wings
        Discussion What is your favorite manuever with your wing?

#1 reefboy Mar 03, 2007 02:56 AM

What is your favorite manuever with your wing?

I know there is a lot of Zagi bashing in the wings forum... Even so, it is a wing and it is quite fun to fly. I don't know that I can go to any of the slower flying planes now.

I love doing big graceful manuevers with my Zagi-60. Big inside and outside loops. Fly the plane toward myself WOT and then pull up and go vertical for a ways and continue away from myself inverted. I also like pulling up to about 45 degrees rolling inverted and then doing the last half of a loop so that I am now coming toward myself.

I don't see much discussion of manuevers with wings. What is your favorite maneuver?

#2 Johnnie Paul Mar 03, 2007 08:05 AM

level flight :p

...seriously, and I don't know the names, but here are two that I like:

1) get up some speed, go into a slight dive to gain more speed, and then go verticle & full throttle with a few victory rolls...

2) again with speed, slight dive, then go into half a loop, at the top of the loop while inverted, I roll the wing over and fly 180 degrees from where I started...

...and inverted flight to, but I'm not very good at it.

I fly an XE2 from Combat Wings.

Johnnie

#3 bildo baggins Mar 03, 2007 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnnie Paul
level flight :p

1) get up some speed, go into a slight dive to gain more speed, and then go verticle & full throttle with a few victory rolls...

Johnnie

Same here

#4 KillerAir Mar 03, 2007 08:52 AM

1. Vertical rolls
2. Imellman

Killer

#5 Charger Mar 03, 2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillerAir
2. Imellman

Killer

Ah..........what's an imellman???????? :confused:

Here's a couple of manuvers you can do fast or slow and I can't get enough of.....Rolling circles and flying on a winglet. Also, flying fast, close to the ground trying not to crash :eek:

video example of all with my CK built TL 50 on 4s2p

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565387

#6 lmopar69 Mar 03, 2007 09:30 AM

I enjoy very tight, very fast, figure-8's as low as I dare. Toss in a few dives with a high speed fly-bye at the end into vertical rolls. And when Im feeling lucky I like to see how low I can stay while inverted at full speed. Then theres the fun of seeing if I can drag a wing tip through the taller grass without pounding it into the ground.

Laine

#7 jarvis2542 Mar 03, 2007 10:12 AM

Low pass-inverted or not at about 170mph 5ft off the deck...that will make your knuckles white

Jared

#8 wingman2004 Mar 03, 2007 12:23 PM

Charger,
An immelman is when you pull up into a half loop, and at the top you level off and roll 180 degrees to upright. this is just a method of reversing direction. go to http://www.furball.warbirdsiii.com/k...-immelman.html to see one.

#9 Charger Mar 03, 2007 12:57 PM

wingman2004...........excellent illistration..........Those are fun at high speed!! Now I know what they're called.......Thanks!~

#10 crashsiegel Mar 03, 2007 01:45 PM

Climb to spec height.
Chop throttle and drop nose straight down.
Gentle roll heading for terra-firma.
WOT shortly before impact.
Straighten and pull vertical just before impact - just BEFORE... :eek:
Rapid roll as climb vertical.
Throw in a hard inside/outside loop or two.
Level off and catch up with breathing as the manically laughter echos fade.

DO IT AGAIN! :D :eek: :)

And listen to the guys say thins like "Man, did you see that wing flex?!" "Yah, anymore and the wing tips would be touching."

I fly a BOP. Took me 3 1/2 years to kill the first one. Second kit on hand, in the build queue. Going to stiffen the outboard wing sections on this one. And maybe jack the poer up some more... :cool:
Crash

#11 Skycruiser Mar 03, 2007 02:09 PM

Low 4 point rolls. Yes you can do them if you start slightly climbing and have a fast enough roll rate. Low slow control line type circles around my head till I get dizzy. Most fun is getting in front of people who've never seen electrics fly, launching at 1/2 throttle and cruising round like that for a while so they think that's flat out, then open the throttle for a fast low pass and listen to the exclamations.

#12 Atom1025 Mar 03, 2007 02:12 PM

I figured out the rolling circle and can do it, not as neat as charger or Rich, but with some more practice I'll get better.

I just can't figure out the proper stick movemets for the salmon :confused:

I try and try but it won't happen :(

#13 _OZ_ Mar 03, 2007 02:35 PM

Floating it straight down, upside down.

#14 CrazyHerb Mar 03, 2007 10:21 PM

Full throttle (at least all that a non-throttled norvel .061 will give me) stall turn, hand catch, and release. :eek:

Don't try this at home...
:D

http://www.flybyphotography.com/Craz...elta/catch.wmv

Oh ya...and trimming weeds:
http://www.flybyphotography.com/Craz...elta/weeds.wmv

Steve

#15 punkrockd Mar 03, 2007 10:49 PM

with the fun jet i like buzzing myself at full speed in a slight dive.

super flea and fly i like the flat spin. get some good altitude and then WOT and pick a corner.

depron wing me and atom1025 used to have, we liked combating them ( they dont last long) and i really like flying slow and low and trying to keep the wing tip as close to the grass while continually going from inverted to upright.

the wicked wing is just so small, and my rates are higher then needed. it rolls soooo fast its beyond blurry. not much of a move but its cool none the less.

my twinstar2 (rest in pieces) was really fun to skid and go.