RC Groups

RC Groups
    Fuel Warbirds
        Discussion What can you guys tell me about Royal Quality Kits 1/2A size planes?

#1 DaveInLA Jan 05, 2007 01:12 AM

What can you guys tell me about Royal Quality Kits 1/2A size planes?

I'm taking about the Zero here. All of the other Royal kits I've seen have been in the 60 size; the plane I'm looking at is about 35" WS, so it's much more manageable in terms of size. The box says it's "semi-scale", but that's vague; can anybody tell me how good this thing looks built up? Thanks.

#2 Evil_Merlin Jan 05, 2007 02:56 AM

I'm just about done with the FW-190.

The wood used is decent.

The laser cutting good.

So far the final product is looking good.

LOTS of little errors on both the plans and the instruction guide.

Wing build is VERY unusual.

#3 DaveInLA Jan 05, 2007 05:32 PM

How difficult is it to cover a plane this size?

Also, what do you mean by "unusual" regarding the wing build? And what types of errors are you talking about in the plans? Wrong dimensions, wrong fits, etc?

#4 Evil_Merlin Jan 05, 2007 06:46 PM

Not that bad. You do need to cover the tail surfaces before finishing the build.

I'm going to glass mine as I am sticking a .20 in it...

I really can't explain the wing, its really only four big pieces of balsa with some ribs. Very strange.

The errors I ran into were mislabeled parts and wrong assembly order, but nothing that bad that you can't work around if you have built planes before.

#5 DaveInLA Jan 05, 2007 06:47 PM

Evil Merlin, if you could post a pic, I'd GREATLY appreciate it!

#6 Evil_Merlin Jan 05, 2007 06:59 PM

I wish I could, but I'm just about done with the build! The wing is all sheeted and sanded...

#7 DaveInLA Jan 05, 2007 09:00 PM

Merlin, that's even better-- I was hoping I could see what a FINISHED Royal 1/2A bird looks like to see how close to scale they are.

#8 Megowcoupe Aug 30, 2007 08:45 PM

Those airplanes have a rep of being on the heavy side of things...

Sam

#9 Twinwarbirdflier Aug 30, 2007 09:26 PM

I built and flew the Royal B25 and the P38. Both finished a little heavier than the plans stated, but both were great fliers!