RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Discussion Cessna 180 from Laser Arts

#1 BD Flyer Nov 24, 2006 07:56 PM

Cessna 180 from Laser Arts

1 Attachment(s)
Hello everybody, I was thinking about buying the Cessna 180 from Laser arts:http://www.mountainmodels.com/produc...f4959201fb3712

I've heard that Laser Arts plane kits are very good and their planes are very good. This would be my first balsa wood plane so would you reccomend this for a first balsa wood kit? Also, is this kit hard to build? One more question, Can you guys give me a good setup that will give me 15-20 minute flight times? I am deciding wether to get lipo batteries. It scares me a little knowing that they can catch on fire if you don't keep an eye on them when they are charging. Oh, I forgot, I have one more question, This plane is a 3 channel, right? Any help will be appreciated by answering any of my questions!

Thanks,

Bill

#2 Valid8r Nov 24, 2006 08:06 PM

The Laser Arts Cessna 180 is a great little plane. It was my second balsa kit (first was the MM SmoothE). This was my first kit to cover (the SmoothE does not require shrinkable covering). I still love the 180 and you can find a number of build threads for this plane. It flies very well, but only in very little wind due to it's incredibly light weight. It is a 3 channel (no ailerons) plane.

The kit is easy to build (as I said above, this was my first ever laser cut balsa kit) and it comes with everything you need except the motor and electronics.

Have fun if you decide to get the kit.

Jon

#3 BD Flyer Nov 24, 2006 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valid8r
The Laser Arts Cessna 180 is a great little plane. It was my second balsa kit (first was the MM SmoothE). This was my first kit to cover (the SmoothE does not require shrinkable covering). I still love the 180 and you can find a number of build threads for this plane. It flies very well, but only in very little wind due to it's incredibly light weight. It is a 3 channel (no ailerons) plane.

The kit is easy to build (as I said above, this was my first ever laser cut balsa kit) and it comes with everything you need except the motor and electronics.

Have fun if you decide to get the kit.

Jon

Thanks Jon! I might get this to build during the cold days. So, is it hard to cover? Also, How do you add stripes and stuff to it like the one in the picture?

#4 BD Flyer Nov 24, 2006 10:33 PM

Also, where are all of the threads about this plane?

#5 Griffin Nov 24, 2006 11:18 PM

Try searching for Mountain Models Cessna 180 instead of laser arts.

To answer some of your questions,
Yes, it's a PERFECT first build. But not first plane. It flies very easy and very slow, but it's light construction is not tolerant of beginner cartwheels and nose ins. It is 3 channel and turns so nice it looks like it has ailerons. Stripes can be cut from covering, or you can buy the adhesive trim. A year or two ago, everyone would tell you to use So-Lite covering, but now many are using the more solid and heavier solarfilm even on small models.

Lipos? Yep, they are so good it's worth taking the safety precautions.

Good choice of plane! It's very popular so you shouldn't hesitate to ask questions as you go. -Steve

#6 BD Flyer Nov 25, 2006 11:20 AM

Thanks, It would be my 3rd 3 channel plane. I probabaly wouldn't maiden it until next July because i'm getting a GWS Beaver and I want to practice on that for a while before I move up to a balsa wood plane. Also, I have another question, I've noticed that some covers, you could see the balsa wood through them, are they all like that?

#7 Matthew Binder Nov 25, 2006 02:06 PM

Most lightweight covering will be very thin so, yes, you'll see thru it. The 180 is a great plane designed by Dave Blum. It's a fairly easy build if you follow the instructions and a great flier.

#8 BD Flyer Nov 25, 2006 05:48 PM

Is there a cover that you can't see through?

#9 BD Flyer Nov 25, 2006 09:09 PM

I researched mountain models cessna 180 on here and there isn't one thread dedicated to this exact plane. There is no build threads or nothing.

#10 Murocflyer Nov 25, 2006 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatech Man
I researched mountain models cessna 180 on here and there isn't one thread dedicated to this exact plane. There is no build threads or nothing.

Not true. Look here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...archid=8174052

#11 BD Flyer Nov 25, 2006 09:18 PM

Oh, wow, there is alot!

Nevermind then :o

#12 Murocflyer Nov 25, 2006 09:46 PM

Quote:

Oh, wow, there is alot!

Nevermind then :o

You bet. It's a sweet little plane!

#13 rcfun33 Nov 25, 2006 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This was my first balsa kit and shrink covering and my 3rd plane to fly. It is a cool little plane. My covering job is not the best, but it still looks great from a small distance and is cool in the air. I don't fly it often, because it requires taking the wing off to change batteries and it is a lightweight delicate plane. I have a little hanger rash from the removal and replacement of the wing.

It still looks and flies nice. Here is a picture from earlier this summer.

-Dave

#14 Eric_N57105 Nov 25, 2006 10:48 PM

Quote:

Normally, unless it says it is transparent, Monokote, Econokote, etc. are opaque.

Eric
www.ke6us.com

#15 Griffin Nov 25, 2006 11:15 PM

Quote:

Ok, I'll play.

SOLITE: opaque colors: Black, dark blue, green
semi opaque: Cream, red, yellow, white, silver. At a distance, these all look pretty good though.

SOLARFILM: opaque colors: All solids, including White! (White looks just like a new Cessna and will cover anything!). Oddly enough, Red is probably the weakest color, and you can see slightly through it.

On this model, I used solite and would probably do it again. The structure is light and you would need to be carefull with the stronger shrinking solarfilm. But the solarfilm colors are so good, it might be worth it.

Heavier coverings such as monokote would be a disaster weight wise and would squeeze and twist it like crazy.

-Steve