RC Groups

RC Groups
    Slope
        Cool Reflective tape - a good idea

#1 ktoey Nov 01, 2006 11:46 PM

Reflective tape - a good idea

1 Attachment(s)
The other day, I spent a long time looking for my F-80 at Temple Hill, finally found it.
I did not have a Lost Model Alarm.... I am planning to equip all my slopers with one.
In the mean time, I put reflective tapes on my F-80.
The slope at Temple is visible from the road and I can come back in the evening with a search light !.

#2 pitviper51 Nov 02, 2006 09:57 AM

cool idea, i put that stuff on my cbwing once, it makes for neat night flying haha good luck
mike

#3 Antonsoarer Nov 02, 2006 01:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I like this stuff, :cool: comes on wide rolls, only trouble is it does reduce the Rx range if you use too much! :eek:

#4 steve wenban Nov 02, 2006 01:41 PM

Hi tony yeah Ive use that wrap to but found it tore rather easy is that your impression too ? does look cool though blinds you with the glint off the sun :)
SteveW

#5 Antonsoarer Nov 02, 2006 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve wenban
Hi tony yeah Ive use that wrap to but found it tore rather easy is that your impression too ? does look cool though blinds you with the glint off the sun :)
SteveW

Hi Steve, long time no chat, yeah it might well rip easy but I only put it on top so have only seen the tips shred a little. I sometimes find myself making turn angles just to get a good flash :o :)

Tony.

#6 iJustinHale Nov 03, 2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktoey
The other day, I spent a long time looking for my F-80 at Temple Hill, finally found it.
I did not have a Lost Model Alarm.... I am planning to equip all my slopers with one.
In the mean time, I put reflective tapes on my F-80.
The slope at Temple is visible from the road and I can come back in the evening with a search light !.

Gawd recoveries on Temple Hill are a bitch! Being a novice, I had to do several recoveries on Temple Hill in the latter half of this year, and every one was sheer agony. There are no deer/animal trails on that hill! After pushing through the thistles, nettles, foxtails, and the other thorns, I was glad to reach a patch of cactus each time, just to get a little break. Once my plane ended up in a patch of cactus at the bottom of the gully about halfway down the hill. Extracting it from the cactus was the easy part! Now I am very careful to try to crash-land onto the ridge below to the left if I get in trouble, and I just walk back down to the car without a launch if the conditions seem too marginal on top. I should get a lost plane alarm too, and the reflective tape is a great idea. Once I tried to point my high beams up there, hoping to spot the plane, had to come back the next morning. Would have had a better chance with reflective tape.

#7 Mad-Man Nov 03, 2006 03:53 PM

I got this last year at Costco, this thing will light up the hill from a mile away.
http://shopproducts.howstuffworks.co...1/PID-28110680

#8 ktoey Nov 03, 2006 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iJustinHale
I should get a lost plane alarm too, and the reflective tape is a great idea. Once I tried to point my high beams up there, hoping to spot the plane, had to come back the next morning. Would have had a better chance with reflective tape.

Cheap and decorative !.
Useless during the day but somewhat useful at dusk.
Now I need to develop a coded pulsed laser pointer and receiver for daylight use!

#9 Chief High Horse Nov 03, 2006 06:24 PM

I got a better idea,

Land you planes instead of crashing them ;)

#10 ktoey Nov 03, 2006 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minhuahua
I got a better idea,
Land you planes instead of crashing them ;)

Like a marriage, when you throw the glider from the altar, you have every intention of bringing it back safely.... but ^&*$ happens !.

Reflective tape is like a pre-nuptual !. It gives you a second chance !.

#11 -----Stu----- Nov 25, 2006 10:26 AM

Wing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antonsoarer
I like this stuff, :cool: comes on wide rolls, only trouble is it does reduce the Rx range if you use too much! :eek:

Tony, I'd be interested in knowing a bit more about that wing in your post. Can You supply any details.....?
Cheers...

Stu

#12 Jeff Charlot Nov 25, 2006 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ktoey
Like a marriage, when you throw the glider from the altar, you have every intention of bringing it back safely.... but ^&*$ happens !.

Reflective tape is like a pre-nuptual !. It gives you a second chance !.

Nice! Leah and I howled at your reply. Well played sir!

#13 Wingtech Nov 25, 2006 02:06 PM

Reflective tape

Hi
Follow link below to pic of my Fletcher which has holograhic tape on ailerons difficult to photograph but as she turns it look like a strobe light running up the wing great at long range.

http://www.f3f.co.uk/knewt/comps/wl1-06/kw0o2880.htm

Steve

#14 daveosoar Nov 25, 2006 03:02 PM

Get some USCG approved retro-reflective self adhesive tape (usually 2'' wide), its used on liferafts, lifejackets at sea. If you can see it from a search plane in broad daylight you'll see your model! One flick in roll control and you have it!
Dave.

#15 willin Nov 25, 2006 07:36 PM

Here is a source that is very reasonable and he has other great stuff too! Like carbon cutter for cutting CF rods and "The Mother of all Scissors" !!!

http://www.nyblimp.com/ss.htm

Robert