RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Sailplanes
        Discussion Kyosho Stratus Sport

#1 RD Blakeslee Sep 05, 2006 12:55 PM

Kyosho Stratus Sport

1 Attachment(s)
This sailplane should be resurrected by Kyosho, IMO, but without all the fussy kit parts (little plywood punch outs, nuts, bolts, heavy speed 600 motor, etc.) - just the remarkable polyethylene fuse, wing and tail feathers. Several times Ive creamed it on the nose, so the nose telescoped back on itself, going outside in like a sock being pulled off. Dip it in hot water and presto! It pulls back out.

Anyway, this one is set up with a LiPo pack as at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388233

The cells are TrueRC 4000 LiPos
http://home.comcast.net/~truerc/prod.htm

The outrunner motor pulls 17 amps WOT and the sailplane climbs out near vertical. For me, the nich filled by TrueRC with their large, relatively inexpensive loose LiPo cells is ideal fly all day if there are a few thermals around, on a single pack without recharging. Single cells are easily replaced if one goes bad.

- RD

#2 topforce Sep 05, 2006 07:26 PM

I have been flying a Kyosho Saurus sports lately. I too am a fan of the plastic fuselage. Mine has a himax outrunner, and 3s2p impulse 2900 pack. It goes almost strait up if I let it. I prefer to stair step it though. Its a fair thermal finder, and a fair aerobat. Does multiple loops from a short dive. I need to redo my aileron set up to get it to roll though.

#3 an85yalie Sep 13, 2006 06:45 PM

Dymond Modelsports has several polyethelene fuselage planes. Not my cup of tea, but help yourself...www.rc-dymond.com

#4 C-MIC Sep 13, 2006 07:16 PM

'Plastic' fuselage is good for beginners to practice. Is that Soarus of Kyoshu made of 'plastic'? AFAIK, there is only one model maker using plastic for most of their products. I use those plastic to bring myself back to this hobby after a hiatus of 23 years. After losing 3 plastic sailplanes , most of the reflex came back....

I still has one in almost NIB condition, and I am planning to use it as a platform for aerial photo...someday..

David

#5 BillM Sep 13, 2006 08:03 PM

Is the fuse polyethelene or polypropolene?

BM