RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Plane Talk
        Discussion Any Tips on Removing Epoxy from Covering Film.

#1 jnm2512 Aug 27, 2006 04:25 PM

Any Tips on Removing Epoxy from Covering Film.

Hello, Recently joined two wing half's on my Hanger 9 Corsair which required using tape while setting up. A slight amount of dried West Systems Epoxy was left on the wing after the tape was removed. I have tried acetone and lacquer thinner with no success. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank You,

John

#2 VillagePerson Aug 27, 2006 05:27 PM

Epoxy is resistant to solvents. Probably the only way to remove it is by sanding, grinding or chipping. Well, you could burn it off but this would damage your wing too.

#3 Karl Bē Aug 27, 2006 06:28 PM

When this has happened to me, I simply picked it off with a razor blade tip. Be careful not to scuff or cut the film.

#4 jnm2512 Aug 28, 2006 12:20 AM

Thanks for the tips. i will gently try using a razor blade.

JM

#5 papa38 Aug 28, 2006 12:26 AM

yep, #11 exacto, and VERY CAREFULL :) Kinda put some tension on it, and hold it, and the glue will pull off slowly.

#6 LBMiller5 Aug 28, 2006 12:32 AM

Actually, vinegar will soften epoxy. The acetic acid in the vinegar breaks down the epoxy and causes it to get into a rubbery state, kind of like stiff Jello. If you put some vinegar onto a cotton ball and let is sit on the epoxy for a wile, it will soften, and you can scrape it off with your finger nail. Just be careful and don't let it seep down into a joint, or it can soften that epoxy as well.

Lucien