RC Groups

RC Groups
    Hand Launch
        Help! Flying sites in or around Vallejo, CA

#1 randymir Jun 13, 2006 11:07 AM

Flying sites in or around Vallejo, CA

I'm looking for flying sites for hand launch as well as slope gliders around Vallejo, CA. I know there is a place in American Canyon, but that looks like they are trying to keep people out these days.

What I'm really looking for are suggestions of places I can go fly my hand launch glider. It needs to be a pretty big area, since I'm new to trying to catch thermals and don't want to end up in some trees or someones backyard.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!!! Thanks!

Randy

#2 DCS Jun 13, 2006 12:27 PM

Greetings.

You just missed a great "fun fly" in Fremont sponsored by Bob "Top 10 at Poway" McGowan.

Monitor this thread on the Bay RC groups site for upcoming events:

http://www.bayrc.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2619

Also, you can usually find at least one DLGer flying at the Alameda County Fairgrounds in Pleasanton. Sure, it's not Vallejo, but it's a great site for DLG (and TD) flying. Plus, when the thermals get blown out in the PM you're about 20 mintues from Del Valle - so bring your slopers, too.

Ciao.

#3 randymir Jun 13, 2006 01:36 PM

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about bayrc.com. Looks like a lot of good information. I'll check it out and see what's going on. Thanks again.

#4 slopemeno Jun 14, 2006 12:56 AM

Theres a slope near the Maritime Academy, but it blows pretty hard from what I'm led to understand. "Checkenbach" here on RCGroups flies in Benecia quite a bit and knows the area very well. Maybe PM him.