RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Talk
        Contest Let's play "Name That Plane!" -No winners yet!

#1 will_newton May 19, 2006 06:00 PM

Let's play "Name That Plane!" -win a million bux!

4 Attachment(s)
This glider was bought from a friend. He doesn't know what it is and neither do I. Unlike him I intend to find out!

Specs:

Wings- Built up balsa, 67.5 in. length (each wing), spring and cable spoilers

fuse- fiberglass, 52" long

fins: v-tail, built up balsa, 17 in. each

a 3.5 meter? 137 in. total WS

thanks!

BTW-if we can't name it, can you suggest a servo setup? The existing holes are not big enough for standard servos and larger than HS-55s.

#2 Goinav8n May 19, 2006 08:23 PM

Looks like a Grand Espirt. Airtronics once sold them HS 85 would be a good setup. It is a real floater. Setup with spoilers its a nice plane. For spot landings just make a long flat approach. use rudder as needed but it will wollow around a bit.

Jeff

#3 schrederman May 19, 2006 09:14 PM

Though it looks a lot like one, it's not a Grand Esprit. The GE has geodedic rib construction, a wood pod, and a fiberglass boom. I'm in the process of building another GE as we exchange notes... It's pretty, whatever it is...

Jack Womack

#4 schrederman May 19, 2006 09:16 PM

Looking closer, the tail almost certainly is from a GE. The rest is different. Is this a one-off?

Jack Womack

#5 will_newton May 19, 2006 10:17 PM

I can't find a picture of a grand Esprit. Any help out there?

The only wood is in the wings!

thanks, keep trying!

#6 oracle_9 May 19, 2006 10:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Grand Esprit.
(photo from: http://www.toledoshow.com/winners05.html )

#7 StevenatorLTFO May 19, 2006 10:42 PM

Sure is purdy!

#8 dgliderguy May 20, 2006 01:07 AM

My guess-- A Larry Jolly Meteor, modified to a v-tail.

#9 will_newton May 20, 2006 06:51 AM

wow! you weren't kidding about the tail! it's a dead ringer for the GE.

the nose is shaped differently and something about the wing isn't quite the same looking.

now off to find meteor pics!

UPDATE- of course i can't find any pics... can i get a little help? I did read about the Meteor having a pointy nose. My nose has a point the shape of a index finger, much pointier than the GE, but not sharp either.

also, the glider has been spray painted since it has been built, the canopy is fiberglass painted black over white. I removed the v-tail fins and it appears original. I have eyeballed this fuse up and down in all grades of light and cannot find even the merest hint that it has been modified.

the ribs are made like I-beams, it uses a sheeted D-box

#10 s2000 May 20, 2006 08:40 AM

Definately not a Meteor, I helped Larry kit the Meteor, it had a mich fatter nose section.

#11 jbrandon May 20, 2006 09:03 AM

Defiantly not a Meteor. Here is a link to a Meteor.

The wing is wrong for a Meteor, the Meteor has a straight trailing edge, the tip panels were swept back.

Good looking airplane none the less!

#12 will_newton May 20, 2006 09:16 AM

agreed. not a meteor!

going to meet former owner in an hour. we'll see what can unearth!

#13 little flyer May 20, 2006 09:48 AM

What ever it is, it is surely a GE tail. The mount and tail are the same as one a GE.

#14 Sparky Paul May 20, 2006 10:02 AM

It's a Arthur.

#15 will_newton May 20, 2006 11:07 AM

Arthur? got any pics/info?

more info- has a carbon fiber tail boom, it was built from a kit, so it's liely not a one off. the previous-previous owner built two and I'm trying to track down the sister ship!