RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sailplane Talk
        Discussion Fling 2M

#1 nr5a Apr 09, 2006 09:30 PM

Fling 2M

Has anyone got a Great Planes ""Fling 2M" glider yet?? I have not seen any reports yet, but they are out. A buddy and I have them ordered and suppose to be here either tomorrow or Tuesday. Anyone got one????

CrashinJ

#2 ptglass Apr 09, 2006 11:44 PM

It's in the mail from Tower!

#3 mlee8249 Apr 10, 2006 11:12 AM

This should be very interesting to watch. The plane looks like fun and maybe even better than the standard GL and Spirit 2M models. Keep us informed on these models so we can all enjoy.

Thanks!
Mike Lee

#4 Chuckhead1 Apr 10, 2006 08:23 PM

Servos

Jerry I need servos....... I cant pull anymore out of my :censored: It hurts to try...

Dna

#5 wingsnapper Apr 11, 2006 12:07 AM

Just took a look at this one on Tower's website. I may just have to rethink my attitude towards Great Planes. What's not to like.?. It's lite, has a fast airfoil, and is virtually ready to fly for $89. I'll be waiting for someone to post about it's agility and ability to hold a turn without wandering around or tip stalling like the Spirit (I think they made the fuse a bit short on that one).
JS

#6 tinkrerpilot Apr 11, 2006 08:21 AM

Got mine last week. Spent the weekend playing with it. Everything is as advertised.
Will maiden it this weekend. Work and household delay things greatly......heheheee.
Two hour build is right on target. Used HS-81 servos. They dropped right in. 750 mah NiHm pack in the nose. Reciever back of the servos under the pusrod housings and a little bit of nose weight to balance it out. Still have to secure pushrods and set control thows. But the WOW factor is really inspiring. Wing and stab have different covering on top and bottom. Nicely done. should be a great one in the air. Hmmmm, maybe Great Planes finally got it right. We shall see. Looks like it would make a good electric conversion too......... Oh the possibilities.

#7 Paul Willenborg Apr 11, 2006 01:38 PM

I agree that this looks like a good deal and a pretty good plane.

Tinkrerpilot, have you weighed it yet? I was a little dubious about their quoted weight.

Paul

#8 3D52 Apr 11, 2006 03:26 PM

I was wondering about the weight myself. I also ordered one so we shall see. Keep us posted Tinkrerpilot.

Steve

#9 tinkrerpilot Apr 11, 2006 04:14 PM

Have not weighed it yet. Friend of mine has the euipment for that. Part of the maiden flight this weekend. It is going to be light though. So I would think that they are on target with it. HS-81's fit really nice. Planniing on using the HFS-04MG reciever. This will drop right in behind the battery in the nose and under the servo tray. If not it will go right behind the servo tray with plenty of room. Couple of adjustments and we are off to the field. :D

#10 tinkrerpilot Apr 11, 2006 04:23 PM

Crashin J

Have you got it yet?

#11 nr5a Apr 11, 2006 04:47 PM

Not yet, waiting for UPS to run then my buddy will call and I'll go pick it up. According to UPS tracking its suppose to be delivered today. I'm excited, and I hate this waiting. lol

CrashinJ

#12 Soar_dude Apr 11, 2006 06:33 PM

What does the inside of the fuse pod look like? does it look yellow like epoxy or white like gel coat?

Soar Dude

#13 jrgospod Apr 11, 2006 08:53 PM

CrashinJ,

I am an embarrassed owner of the Fling DLG. I canít bring myself to sell it because it is junk and I will not pass on something that bad. I was on a waiting list last year and got one of the first ones. It is still on the shelf because it is not worth building. Fool me once shame on you (GP). Fool me twice, shame on me. GP will not get a chance to fool me twice. They have lost me as a customer. I sure hope that GP has learned a lesson and the people on this thread are not fooled also. I have my doubts because the Fling DLG was not recalled and is still being sold. Good luck! You may need it.

John

#14 nr5a Apr 11, 2006 09:42 PM

Interesting, my buddy got one last year and just loves it ! ! ! He has done a lil bit of everything with his, slope, mini hi-start, and of course hand launched.

I got my Fling 2m tonite and I'm really impressed with it, if it flies half as good as it looks I'll be very happy, no doubt about that it will fly great.

Oh inside the fuse is sorta a yellowish color. Got to get back to the short build so I can maiden it tomorrow afternoon.

CrashinJ

#15 Soar_dude Apr 11, 2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crashinJ
Oh inside the fuse is sorta a yellowish color. Got to get back to the short build so I can maiden it tomorrow afternoon.

CrashinJ

Well that sounds promising means the actually epoxy in the lay-up it should stand well then. My Spirit 100 ARF is pretty strong I dorked in with no damge no damage.

Soar Dude