RC Groups

RC Groups
    Life, The Universe, and Politics
        Discussion reason #462 why i hate (most) cops

micro_builder Mar 30, 2006 09:23 AM

An infraction has been given for this post.
Infraction type: Offensive content (Profanity)

#2 alan_scott Mar 30, 2006 09:40 AM

(1 Never offer any info while your pulled over, only answer whatever questions are asked.

(2 Never tell the cop that you are going to take it to court, he'll see that as a reason to take better notes of the traffic stop

(3 Always take your ticket to court. If the cop doesn't show up, you win. If he didn't take good notes, you might win.

#3 LTChip Mar 30, 2006 10:00 AM

http://www.flexyourrights.org/traffic_stop_scenario

Some good advice.

#4 micro_builder Mar 30, 2006 10:54 AM

thanks for that link, LTChip, some very good info there that everyone should know. the stats they show are kind of scary, and pretty sad. i wish i had known i could've "terminated the encounter" before this happened, that may have come in handy.

one statement in their FAQ was this:
"police officers should be trained to serve as peace officers whose goal is to preserve people’s constitutional rights. In other words, the number of arrests an officer makes should not be a factor used to determine his job performance. Instead, performance should be measured by the officer’s ability to maintain a safe, peaceful neighborhood and earn the residents' trust."

i could not agree with that more. having a police officers performance rated by how many people they arrest or pull over, or whatever the case may be, is a really bad idea. its just begging the cops to bust people needlessly.

fortunately, he didnt try to search me or anything, and i'm always on my best behaviour when i get pulled over. "Yes sir, thank you sir, have a good day." that seems to work a lot better than "whatever, jerk!" just ask my friends. i really had to bite my tounge this time though, i just couldnt believe he didnt pull that truck over. i know for sure that if i had passed that van, tinted windows or not, he would've pulled me over. small town cops are the worst it seems for that sort of thing, a friend of mine had an old Honda with a bad muffler. it wasnt even half as loud as all the bikers in the town, or all the huge jacked up trucks with straight pipes and no catalytic converters, yet he always got pulled over for too loud of exhaust. i'm surprised they havent pulled me over for that as well.

at least after reading through that site, i'll feel a bit more comfortable if/when i get pulled over again. i still need to find a way to check and see if the cop ever enters the ticket into the system. even if he doesnt though, i have a hard time believing the city would give me back my money.

nick

-no offence inteded to any officers who may be floating around here on RCG, i only have issues with cops who have issues with me-

#5 Big Foot 48 Mar 30, 2006 11:31 AM

This site http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html says in MN the tint can be no more than 50%/50%/50% (F/S/R). Here in AZ its 33%/Any/Any.

You could move!

#6 lrsudog Mar 30, 2006 11:47 AM

There is very little that is more subjective than "Too dark" as judged by eye.

The shop that tinted my windows gave me a sample of the tint they used on the side windows, and on the invoice it says that it falls within the legal limits. I've been stopped several times, and the cops have stated that the tinting was illegal, until I pulled out the invoice & sample, and said I'd be happy to let the judge decide.


My rear windows are very dark, but in California you can have them spraypainted black if you want, as long as you have rear view mirrors on both sides of the car.

#7 micro_builder Mar 30, 2006 11:49 AM

they need to update that graph i think. i did check the MN statute that its filed under and it says only the front two windows have to be at 50%. which makes sense to me, cause almost every car i see on dealship lots all have tint on their side and rear windows that is darker than mine. on the thought of moving, i'm already planning it, i cant stand another bitter MN winter!

i'm going to give it a month for the ticket to go through, if it doesnt, i'm sending a complaint and making sure i get my money back. speaking of complaints, my reason #463. all i can say is i'm glad i dont live in southern florida: http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_033170755.html

nick

almost forgot: the cop also told me that i had to have some sort of sticker on one of my windows saying what the percent of tint is. i've never ever heard of that and i have never seen a sticker like that on any car, ever. not even brand new cars.

#8 Big Foot 48 Mar 30, 2006 12:15 PM

This site says 50% all around too: http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/MN/

#9 ElectRick Mar 30, 2006 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by micro_builder
they need to update that graph i think. i did check the MN statute that its filed under and it says only the front two windows have to be at 50%. which makes sense to me, cause almost every car i see on dealship lots all have tint on their side and rear windows that is darker than mine. on the thought of moving, i'm already planning it, i cant stand another bitter MN winter!

i'm going to give it a month for the ticket to go through, if it doesnt, i'm sending a complaint and making sure i get my money back. speaking of complaints, my reason #463. all i can say is i'm glad i dont live in southern florida: http://cbs4.com/topstories/local_story_033170755.html

nick

almost forgot: the cop also told me that i had to have some sort of sticker on one of my windows saying what the percent of tint is. i've never ever heard of that and i have never seen a sticker like that on any car, ever. not even brand new cars.


You are missing the most obvious (and cheapest) of all potential solutions.

Get rid of any aftermarket tint altogether, and buy a pair of sunglasses.

The cops leave you alone, and you can still look cool. ;)

This would be a no-brainer for me if I were getting hassled this much by the local constabulary over such a trivial thing as window tint.

Rick

#10 The Other Dave Mar 30, 2006 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectRick
You are missing the most obvious (and cheapest) of all potential solutions.

Get rid of any aftermarket tint altogether, and buy a pair of sunglasses.

The cops leave you alone, and you can still look cool. ;)

This would be a no-brainer for me if I were getting hassled this much by the local constabulary over such a trivial thing as window tint.

Rick

My car is black. The only thing that makes it bearable in the summer is
the window tint. It keeps it 30 deg cooler inside when it is sunny.

#11 micro_builder Mar 30, 2006 12:55 PM

i double checked the MN statues, Big Foot, you're correct, it is 50% (crap!).

"when any side window or rear window is composed of or
treated with any material so as to obstruct or substantially
reduce the driver's clear view through the window or has a light
transmittance of less than 50 percent plus or minus three
percent in the visible light range or a luminous reflectance of
more than 20 percent plus or minus three percent"

as for cars with tinting straight from the dealers lot:
"windows that have not been modified since the original installation,
nor to original replacement windows and windshields, that were
originally installed or replaced in conformance with Federal
Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 205"

so, i guess if i had tinting done from a dealership, i'd be ok, which seems a bit odd.

Rick, thats a good point, and it looks like i may have to do just that. which i really dont want to do, i've seen cars just like mine without tint and they just dont look quite right (oh the woes of being a car guy, and the Other Dave has a really good point too). for as clear as my tint is, i cant imagine what 50% would look like, probably cant even tell there's tint on it. i dont think it'll be cheap though unfortunately, it cost me around 170 bucks to get my car tinted, i dont know what it'll cost to remove it, but add the 130 dollars from the ticket, and i'll be sunglasses shoping down at K-Mart.

nick

#12 electroman7 Mar 30, 2006 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alan_scott
(1 Never offer any info while your pulled over, only answer whatever questions are asked.

(2 Never tell the cop that you are going to take it to court, he'll see that as a reason to take better notes of the traffic stop

(3 Always take your ticket to court. If the cop doesn't show up, you win. If he didn't take good notes, you might win.


Good advice. I've disputed every ticket I received over the last 20 years. I am doing about 50/50 on getting them dismissed. Give as little information to them as you can and take responsibility for nothing. Of course you are taking a big risk if you really are in the wrong. Judges can add to the fines if you try to beat an obvious violation, say like doing 70 MPH in a school zone.

#13 robbie Mar 30, 2006 01:00 PM

i got pulled over the other day (my fault) and the cop was polite and businesslike while writing me the ticket (which i deserved).
the only potential problem was that while he was writing the ticket out, my daughter was leaning closer and closer to the officer. she later said she was only trying to find out if they really smell like bacon.

#14 dll932 Mar 30, 2006 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTChip

True. AND, it doesn't hurt to turn the engine off, the radio off, the dome light on (at night), the 4-ways on, and have your hands on the wheel where he/she can see them. If the officer realizes you're helping him to neutralize the situation, it'll make you look more like a good guy.

BTW, cars that are messy, in poor condition, or have lotsa bumper stickers will get picked on more.

#15 micro_builder Mar 30, 2006 02:15 PM

i didnt even get a chance to contest the ticket in court. the cop said my court date was today, when i got there, i wasnt on the list, and the lady behind the desk said the cop hadnt even entered the ticket into the system. i missed a day of work for nothing (not really complaining about that though). i really didnt want to run the risk of not paying the ticket, only to have it go through a couple days later, then get pulled over with a warrent out for me. the fact that the cop didnt even put it through the system yet is really bothers me, does that mean he's lazy, he forgot, or he didnt ever intend to actually process it in the first place? if its the latter of those three, i think i'll be making my own court date, considering that would be the 2nd time a cop has done that to me.

i drive a 2001 Volkswagen Golf GTi. its clean, no bumper stickers or anything, i've only put in a 60mm lowering kit, exhaust, and the tinting. there are two small stickers on the side windows that say the name of the place i bought it from, but other than that, it looks like almost every other GTi out there. i dont like flash or "bling bling" so i try to keep it low key, i'm not doing a very good job it seems. there's 2001 Jetta GTi around here, as well as a Corrado, both have tint darker than mine on all windows.

i also did all the good things, pulled as far off the road as possible, turned the hazards on, had the window down already, radio off, just waiting patiently. the cop was nice at first, but he became more irritated sounding as he was talking to me. i never gave out info that he didnt need, the info about who the car was listed under was all there on the card. why he asked about the insurance and how much i had paid back to my mom, well, that i just dont get. the cop that pulled me over for doing 100+ in a 70mph zone was a nicer guy, and he was going to take me to jail!

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbie
i got pulled over the other day (my fault) and the cop was polite and businesslike while writing me the ticket (which i deserved).
the only potential problem was that while he was writing the ticket out, my daughter was leaning closer and closer to the officer. she later said she was only trying to find out if they really smell like bacon.

HA! feel fortunate she didnt ask the officer personally. from the mouths of babes....

nick


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.