RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk
        Discussion Best In The West Jet Rally 2006

#1 GlasairAllen Feb 22, 2006 09:25 PM

Best In The West Jet Rally 2006

For some reason the Best In The West official website still has info on last year's rally, but my club (the host club) has some info on it's site at http://www.cvrcclub.com

The rally is scheduled for April 20-23 at the Coachella Valley RC Club field located about 20 miles east of Palm Springs. A map is located on our site.

If you are planning on coming out for the weekend you might want to make hotel reservations fairly soon. There are about a million resorts and hotels out here in the desert starting in Palm Springs (about 20 miles from field) and going east to Cathedral City (about 16 miles from field), Rancho Mirage (about 15 miles from field), Palm Desert (about 13 miles from field), and La Quinta (about 6 miles from field) ... I'm not sure what is in the town of Coachella itself as far as accommodations, but I've never heard of it referred to as a resort town :) FYI, Avoid Desert Hot Springs.

C-Ya there...

#2 Henry V Feb 22, 2006 09:31 PM

So no more Prado uh?

#3 GlasairAllen Feb 22, 2006 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henry V
So no more Prado uh?

Not this year.

I'm not sure why the move, I've never been to the Prado field but I do know that our field is VERY nice and everything from the runway surface to the workbenches and shelters are new or recently refurbished.

#4 Eddie P Feb 22, 2006 11:24 PM

The Prado BITW of 2005 had quite a few altitude busts that closed the field to jet flying permanently. Well, until they get it approved again sometime in the undetermined future. If you watch the BITW videos from 2005 there was some serious vertical going on, with smoke activated. That was a dead giveaway that the 400 foot ceiling was being busted (ceiling due to proximity to Chino Airport).

I looooove vertical, but at some model fields it's strictly prohibited for airspace reasons.

#5 Ed Waldrep Feb 23, 2006 12:13 AM

Looking forward to the new location, although I liked Chino just fine. Too bad about the shut down with turbines but I saw quite a few full size aircraft fly over the field on Saturday last year at BITW.

This year my F-22 is ready to go, no busted nose syndrome.

#6 turbonut Feb 23, 2006 12:22 AM

I spoke with a board member from prado and a pilot from chino turned in the club to the FAA and said a model buzzed him in his plane! I check with the FAA being I am a private pilot also and it was true! Some B&**%%$ pilot cried to the FAA.the FAA shut down the club for a short time after the event.I was there both days and never saw a model even close to a full size...I think some old fart had his shorts in a up roar because he was told buy the tower to avoid the area as best possible
Scott

#7 Herb Feb 23, 2006 01:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a picture of the three guys (Doug, Joe and Terry) that - quite involuntarily I should add - got turbines banned from Prado permanently within a few weeks :o , the whole story was rather unexpected (to most), there's a very long thread on RCU on how and why it happened ... No need here to re-open that can of worms ;) ..

Every one of the turbine guys was having a good time flying, and the Prado closure later hit quite hard. Now for the turbine guys it's a 3-hr weekend drive to Buttonville ...

#8 DanSavage Feb 23, 2006 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie P
The Prado BITW of 2005 had quite a few altitude busts that closed the field to jet flying permanently. Well, until they get it approved again sometime in the undetermined future. If you watch the BITW videos from 2005 there was some serious vertical going on, with smoke activated. That was a dead giveaway that the 400 foot ceiling was being busted (ceiling due to proximity to Chino Airport).

I looooove vertical, but at some model fields it's strictly prohibited for airspace reasons.

In all fairness to the pilots, they usually try to stay within whatever limits they're given. When LA Jets is held at Sepulveda Basin, they're required to stay below 400' due to proximity to Van Nuys airport and these same pilots do a pretty good job.

At the 2005 BitW, the CD told the pilots during the pilots meeting that he'd obtained an altitude waiver that was several times higher than the normal limit, so the jet pilots did what they usually do and fly the heck out of their models. It wasn't until after the near-miss and during subsequent meetings that it came out that the CD lied and had never obtained the waiver because the FAA is no longer giving them out due to pending regulations concerning UAVs. So, the CD took a chance and gambled that there would be no incidents. Oopsie.

But, that wasn't the first altitude incursion. When the pilot reported the near-miss, the tower told him they would record it in the tower supervisor's log, which is akin to a bird report. The pilot told the tower that this was unacceptable, so the tower told him to contact the Riverside FAA FSDO, which he did. The FAA called CNO tower and told them to make a near-miss report, which they did.

This set the wheels in motion for a meeting between all parties involved (such as San Bernadino Country, which holds PVMAC's lease. When the tower logs were opened and it was revealed just how many near-misses there'd been, the county had kittens and shut PVMAC down until the club could demonstrate that they had a handle on altitude control, which they did, and they county let them open. But, turbines were banned as a result.

So, this isn't really the fault of the jet flyers. They were playing within the framework they were given, but unfortunately, they were the one's who, ultimately, had to pay the price.

Dan

#9 CRCJA Feb 23, 2006 11:57 PM

Bitw

Couple of things guys. I really hate to open old wounds again. The one and ONLY site for the CRCJA is www.crcja.org I would not hand over control to the other parties so they copied most of my content and started Best in the West .org BUT that is not the official club site.

Best in the West is now on it's 17th year, so just wanted to throw that out.

Last but not least the Full scale pilot was reported to Say. One jet flew up on one side of him pulled inverted loop and came out the other side. We went back and forth left and right. what is done is done. I Never saw a plane come that close to the field and with at least two dozen people with cameras there on Saturday neither did ANYONE else. There is always three sides to every story. 1. Their side, 2. my side and 3. the Truth.

Pick the one you like and let's enjoy th hobby.

Hope to see some more EDF's there this year as I myself am hoping to have a couple of them this year. I have a couple of Electrics already but nothing that fancy YET. Hope to pull a first at Tucson Jet Rally next month

Ralph

#10 Daren Feb 24, 2006 01:32 AM

Hi Ralph,

I picked up a copy of the BiTW 2004 video by Propwash at the last AMA show (mainly for the Flanker footage and my interview--cheeky endorsment ;) ). In one scene you can see a Cessna transitioning the airspace overhead during one of the jet flights. There was plenty of airspace separation as seen in the footage, but there were airplanes flying overhead.

FTIW, I did see the Mooney fly over, but did not witness the reported near-miss. He was a bit low, but legal and the jets were a bit high. It ended being a sad situation for all involved, especially the jet flyers.

How warm does it get in Palm Springs in April? ;)

Daren

#11 TGoodwin Feb 24, 2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Hope to see some more EDF's there this year as I myself am hoping to have a couple of them this year. I have a couple of Electrics already but nothing that fancy YET. Hope to pull a first at Tucson Jet Rally next month
Not sure how welcome EDF's will be at Tucson. I was thinking about going since I will not make Florida Jets this year but looking at the flyer I think it said somthing about any EDF must fly the full pattern? Was not sure exactly what was meant by that statement. I assume this to mean they will only accept high power EDF's? Last time I flew the full pattern with the F-16 was at Florida and my spotter was asking what I thought I was doing taking it so far out.

I plan on attending Best in the West this year. Maybe we will see a few new faces flying EDF this year. Last year was myself, Herb, Chris Wolf, Gregg F, Ed W., Dan and Daren.

Thanks Ted

#12 Kevin Cox Feb 24, 2006 07:34 PM

LOL, Ted I had one remind me to fly the pattern. The pattern of a 27" wingspan model at 85mph is a bit different than the one for a 56" span at 180mph, was my reply :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGoodwin
Not sure how welcome EDF's will be at Tucson. I was thinking about going since I will not make Florida Jets this year but looking at the flyer I think it said somthing about any EDF must fly the full pattern? Was not sure exactly what was meant by that statement. I assume this to mean they will only accept high power EDF's? Last time I flew the full pattern with the F-16 was at Florida and my spotter was asking what I thought I was doing taking it so far out.

I plan on attending Best in the West this year. Maybe we will see a few new faces flying EDF this year. Last year was myself, Herb, Chris Wolf, Gregg F, Ed W., Dan and Daren.

Thanks Ted

#13 Daren Feb 24, 2006 07:50 PM

Ted,

Where did you see the flyer?

Daren

#14 GlasairAllen Feb 24, 2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daren
How warm does it get in Palm Springs in April? ;)
Daren

It was 82 today when I went out for lunch in Palm Desert ... gunna be a bit warmer in April I imagine but you never can tell, the desert does get cold too.

#15 bruff Feb 24, 2006 08:12 PM

Tucson has stated they only want EDF's that can stay in the pattern with the turbines. They are afraid of an EDF taking out a turbine due to it being too slow. I think Ted's F-16 is only one of the few that will fit in there.
Bob