RC Groups

RC Groups
    Slope
        Build Log Sushi! The Pitcheron

#1 Hutch Jan 04, 2006 01:58 AM

Sushi! The Pitcheron

2 Attachment(s)
Well folks, in keeping with the trend that 2006 is shaping up to be a twisty wing revival, I decided to jump into the pool. For your approval or disapproval, I give you Sushi, a compact 40" pitcheron sloper. Construction will be foam core wings with 1/64 ply sheeting, molded fiberglass fuselage, and a balsa horizontal stabilizer.

The rough Specs at this point are:

Span 40"
Area 147.5 Sq"
A/R 10.8
Airfoil SD6062
Length 30"

Lately I have been trying to make a point of incorporating at least one new skill into each of my homebrew designs. For this build I plan on taking the knowledge of the great mold gurus on the site and putting it to good use. Aside from my plug material (which is on it's way thanks to Dutchy's recommendation) I have all my stuff ready to go.

I plan on doing this real time so I can benefit from your comments and suggestions. If I don't play hooky too much and go flying then I should get this baby off the ground in reasonable time.

So who's ready for some Sushi?

-hutch

#2 Hutch Jan 04, 2006 02:09 AM

Cutting Foam

13 Attachment(s)
Since I finally found a reliable source of foam located about 5 minutes from my home, I decided it was time to dust off the old feathercut machine and see if I could remember how to use it. I used compufoil to make my paper templates which I 3m77'd to some leftover Formica. Once those babys were smooth, it was time to cut my huge 4'X8' sheet of foam to more manageable portions. Then I blocked out my plan form on the foam and cut it out with the hotwire. Finally after warming up with some left over new years beer (label removed to avoid embarrassment) and reading the instructions I was ready to cross my fingers and cut some cores.....

-hutch

#3 SlowRider Jan 04, 2006 02:25 AM

Great thread Hutch, nice pics, keep it coming.

Andy

#4 BMtech Jan 04, 2006 03:21 AM

Hutch looks good, I always look forward to a build thread :cool: .

How do you cut the opposite wing panel do you turn the templates end for end & cut from the TE to the LE?

Rick

#5 Hutch Jan 04, 2006 03:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
BMtech, I always cut from LE to TE. And the templates are just held to the foam with two rivets pressed into the foam block, so to do the other side I just have to pull it out and stick it through the other side of the template.

-hutch

#6 Jeff Charlot Jan 04, 2006 03:37 AM

That Sushi is a sexy design! Very cool to watch these go from conception to execution. Love watching these come together.

Jeff

#7 BMtech Jan 04, 2006 03:46 AM

Wasabi

Is Sushi going to be served with Wasabi :D

#8 Kimble_Schmitz Jan 04, 2006 05:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice Sushi, i have subscribed.

Also i noticed something of special interrest to me in your pictures.

I have this book to.......... somewhere.......

:D

#9 daedaluscan Jan 04, 2006 06:44 AM

Great looking plane. I have a 48" pitcheron in my head that wants to come out soon too...too many projects, too much work.

#10 target Jan 04, 2006 06:56 AM

Better build light, with such low wing area.

G/L!

T

#11 InTheLift Jan 04, 2006 09:04 AM

Thought something looked fishy about that planform.

All kidding aside, nice looking design. Here's waiting for the finished product. :)

#12 Reed Jan 04, 2006 10:01 AM

Another cool toy for Hutch.

Hey, as long as you have that feathercut set up you might as well cut a few extra sets.

#13 Pegasus Jan 04, 2006 10:08 AM

Great thread :D I look forward to the build. Nothin like fresh Sushi ;)

Steven

#14 winchdoc Jan 04, 2006 10:28 AM

Ahhh, the beauty of pitcherons. Allows you to make the tail any interesting shape you want.

#15 Hutch Jan 04, 2006 11:12 AM

Thanks guys,

I had fun drawing the plans for this thing, the fuse started as a sketch on a sheet of paper which I ended up scanning and then tracing in CAD. I'm still on the fence about whether I really like the horizontal stab outline though. Like the Doc said it isn't too hard to switch something up back there since ya don't have to worry about any linkages. :)

Funny thing is, I can't stand seafood :D