E-Flite 182 Wing Strut Gripe/Question
On the E-Flite 182 there are two wing struts that mount from the wing to the fuselage on each side, just like the real thing. The instruction manual states not to forget to put them on prior to flight because they are functional and not optional.
When I first test fit them during assembly they were too long by about 1/4" a piece and the buttons on the ends which snap into the corresponding buttons on the wing and fuselage were at the wrong angles.
The struts are made of balsa with a white iron on covering with plastic buttons on each end attached with hot glue. I removed both buttons and snapped them into the wing and fuselage. I then cut the struts to length and proper angle and hot glued them in place while the buttons were snapped into the airplane. I let the hot glue cool and removed the assemblies.
I feared the strength of these joints with the hot glue but they seemed pretty sturdy, so I went with it. On my second takeoff a gust of wind sent her left where she bumped her wing and broke the glue joint.
Now, does anyone have any suggestions for a good fix? I thought about some 5 min epoxy or possibly a well placed, and very small, screw through the button into the balsa (not much room to work with).
Also - the wheel pants on this thing are coming off before the next flight since during the first take off the hot glue holding the front pant broke and made the nosewheel skid to a stop.
I had one break, and did what you were thinking of - some epoxy and a small screw. Not real pretty, but functional.
I also ditched the wheel pants in short order, and went with a set of lightweight 2" foamies. Be advised that my main landing gear wire came out in flight (never did find it). Do something to secure the gear.....landing on nose gear only isn't fun!
Thanks for the confirmation Bob.
Last night I removed the wheel pants and noticed the main gear wire is bend differently on each side, giving me a lean.
When I installed the main gear originally I noticed how it liked to slip out so I CA'ed it into the fuse to prevent problems.
Last night I made some other corrections to my original set up. I had the control throws way too high. The throws in the book are very conservative and I was basically doubling them on each surface. This is why I think the plane jumped up and out of ground effect on both attempts to take off. Combine that with a variable wind and thats how I bumped the wing.
Now I have the throws set closer to suggested, which I couldnt achieve on all surfaces regardless of how I set them up. So I will just take it easier on the sticks next time.
I also attempted to fix the struts with just some thick CA over the hot glue. Im hoping the CA will harden enough to the plastic and balsa to prevent a split again. I'm also hoping i dont jam the wing into the ground again either....
Instead of cuting the struts you could have relocated the fuse side screw. At least thats what i did, only about a quarter inch or so. It also put the bottoms in the correct scale location. The functionality aspect didnt change at all.
One of my struts was also glued at the wrong angle. I used 5 min epoxy to fix it and dont think its ever breaking again. I hear ya on the main gear, how could they think that would stay in!! Ill probably just epoxy mine to the fuse formers around it.
You know im getting all angry again at the crappy manufacturing of this kit! The main gear fairings came with tape to thin to be of use. The windscreen didnt fit right and the wing sadlle had to be trimmed. Its just shotty shotty workmanship! I just got a blade cx and its not built like crap.
If i were home id post pics, but im almost done fixing all the tiny issues. Still havent maidened yet as im taking it slow so i dont trash it getting angry at little things. Its coming along nice though, just some main gear isues lkeft to sort out. I even installed my curtek lights and it looks dam scale from 4 feet away in dim light.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.|