RC Groups

RC Groups
    Sport Planes
        Build Log Stevens Aero Edge 1.5

#1 feathermerchant Dec 25, 2005 11:27 PM

Stevens Aero Edge 1.5

1 Attachment(s)
Merry Christmas everybody!
Ok Ok Bill didn't ask me to do this to his Edge design. But after the success of the Siamese CAP (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352940) and the only partial success of the Wild Hare Edge (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385681), I took it upon my self.
I know there is a market for 70-80" aerobatic planes. Look at all the places selling large numbers of ARFs that size.
One problem for most of us is the price. You'll need a large (~1.5-2kW) power system to haul those 12-15lb planes around. Here, as when we had only NiCads and NiMh cells with brushed motors, Bill's designs can shine. I think I can build a 75" edge that will weigh 7lb or so. It will have a much cheaper power system (and servos) than an equivalent ARF and should fly every bit as well as those overweight ARFs. Of course it will land much slower as a bonus. I hope this will be popular enough to get Bill's interest and he will make some money selling a few.
So Let's get started. My wonderful Wife gave me the SA Edge for Christmas. I decided to build both the 1.5 scale and the 1.0 scale together. Piece by piece. Here are the fin and rudder:

#2 SargeNZ Dec 25, 2005 11:56 PM

I will be watching this with interest. Is it too early to tell whether scaled plans would be released for a fee?

#3 feathermerchant Dec 26, 2005 12:12 AM

I am just using my scanner to reprint and tile them at 150%. Time consuming but effective. It would help to get some legal size paper though. I have a buddy who is a lawyer.

#4 sun.flyer Dec 26, 2005 09:04 AM

Awesome feather, this should be fun watching your plane(s) develop. Can I ask what power system you are thinking about using? I think you will probably be going with some combo of Tanic packs for the batteries.:)

Tim

#5 KillerAir Dec 26, 2005 09:14 AM

You are certainly more agressive than I. Wonderful idea Feather. I will stay tuned into this one. If you need any assistance with graphics or color don't hesitate to contact me.

Killer

#6 big bird Dec 26, 2005 09:27 AM

can't wait for the flight report ... this is gripping stuff

big bird

#7 JLSalas Dec 26, 2005 09:30 AM

interesting project!

JL

#8 mike3976 Dec 26, 2005 09:46 AM

What is the weight of the SA EDGE, 36 to 42 oz.? If so building one @ 1.5, you might come in at 54 to 63 oz. given the crude multiply by 1.5 approach. You might be able to pull this off a little lighter than seven lbs. :)

#9 digigarb Dec 26, 2005 09:50 AM

Great work! Hope you don't get tired of cutting all those pieces out. I have been contemplating doing the same with my G-ride but to the same scale as Bill's 55" cap. (since I could use the same power setup etc) Good luck

Graeme

#10 blucor basher Dec 26, 2005 10:56 AM

Let's hope this inspires SA to release this as kit. I would order one immediately.

#11 LJH Dec 26, 2005 12:45 PM

Very Cool,
I have a deep burning desire to get into something larger then 48-50" span but the $$$ nesessary to get there puts a damper on the whole thing. But is Bill could comeup with something in the 65-75" span range that came out at 6-7lbs just think of the possibilites..... :p. Hey Bill....is it done yet ;) . will be keeping an eye on this thread for sure.

Cheers,
Jim

#12 jooNorway Dec 26, 2005 01:00 PM

Is there any chance Stevens would produce a kit in this size??? 170cm VS SA-model is something I for sure would like to have in my hangar!!!
Bough myself a Cap232-40e for christmas-pleasure, almost ready to cover the beauty now. Then it is time to wait for release of the Ultimate from SA :p

#13 sukhoi26mx Dec 26, 2005 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike3976
What is the weight of the SA EDGE, 36 to 42 oz.? If so building one @ 1.5, you might come in at 54 to 63 oz. given the crude multiply by 1.5 approach. You might be able to pull this off a little lighter than seven lbs. :)

Unfortuantely, for a pure scale-up, weight usually cubes as the size doubles... so I would guess that 7-8 pounds would be reasonable. For comparisons, my 30% (87") Yak weighs 16.5 lbs, so a 70" model at 8 lbs would be crazy light.

Scott

#14 KillerAir Dec 26, 2005 02:59 PM

I would think that 7lbs would be about right. What pack do you plan on powering this with, I would think around 800-900watts should do nicely given such a low wing loading.
Hey While your cutting out the larger one might as well do two and send one up here:)
I'll be more than happy to build it.

Killer

#15 Montag DP Dec 26, 2005 03:06 PM

Is the build going to be purely scaled up 1.5 times? Are you planning on adding to the frame to ensure rigidity? This should be interesting.

I was thinking about an Edge from Bill Stevens but then I got bit by the heli bug. (Watch out, helis are very addicting). I may still get one sometime if I ever have the money.