RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models
        Sky Runner from Harbor Freight

#1 Greg Covey Jun 01, 2002 08:30 PM

Sky Runner from Harbor Freight

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

When I was buying a bunch of Micro Taxis (aka Lightning, Item #42619) from Harbor Freight at the $6.49 sale price, I decided to buy a couple of those pusher prop design planes (Item #43678) for $9.99 also.

The Sky Runner has a similar power system design with the built-in switch and charge jack. It uses the identical motor and prop, and, surprisingly enough, they already reversed it for you in the foam spinner.

The decal set contains numbers and 14 different country names. The kit comes with a spare wooden fuselage boom.

I haven't decided what i'll do with them yet but I thought that I would share with you what I learned so far.

Here are some specs:
  • Wingspan = 23"
  • Length = 17"
  • Tail width = 8"
  • Prop = 3.25x?
  • RTF at 2.0oz

Click here for a larger image.

#2 Greg Covey Jun 01, 2002 08:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

#3 Greg Covey Jun 01, 2002 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

#4 ronnath Jun 02, 2002 05:13 AM

were the CG markers already applied?

#5 Fly_joy Jun 02, 2002 09:04 AM

Greg,

I have one of those. It's a very good flyer out of the box for freeflight and has a lot more wing area than the Micro Taxi.

I haven't tried to RC mine but it looks like it would be a winner.

I think I saw a posting sometime ago about someone who RC'd one. Maybe it was Gary?? (sr71fan).

Go for it.

Larry

#6 Greg Covey Jun 02, 2002 11:53 AM

ronnath,

No, I put the CG markers on myself.

Larry,

My only hesitation is that when using percentages of wingspan and weights, both plane look equal.

I'll see how it works free-flight first is this darn wind would ever stop! :(

Regards.

#7 Fly_joy Jun 02, 2002 08:00 PM

A larger plane with the same wing loading should fly better than a smaller/lighter plane. Did you see the article in the AMA mag this month?

The Sky Runner flys on one cell vs. two cells for the Micro Taxi. Assuming that it's the same motor, it leads me to believe that the Sky Runner is a more efficient design. Testing will tell.

PS

Isn't the weather a drag? It seems like it is either blowing hard or raining; or both!

I long for a good fly day.

#8 Greg Covey Jun 03, 2002 07:53 AM

Larry,

The stock Micro Taxi used only 1 cell. It was the identical power system and prop.

I'm thinking of using the RFFS100 module with elevator control and an added vertical stabilizer/rudder to the middle of the tail section.

#9 Gordon Johnson Jun 03, 2002 08:59 AM

Greg,
Off topic, but after an unbelievably windy weekend here, I got in a Tiger Moth flight from my front yard this morning. It was not a dead calm, but compared to what we've (and I assume NY state has the same wind) had recently it was flyable.

#10 Greg Covey Jun 03, 2002 12:35 PM

Hi Gordon,

Your ears must have been buzzing because I was thinking about you and your indoor flying area this weekend when I was grounded by the wind. :)

I couldn't even fly my 5-8lb planes this weekend.

The wind didn't calm down in the evening either. Of course, now that the work week comes along, it is calmer today. :rolleyes:

Regards.

#11 eparkflyer Oct 12, 2002 08:18 PM

Did that pusher plane ever fly??

It looks neat!

#12 sr71fan Oct 13, 2002 12:53 PM

Confession

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, it was me. GWS DD with GWS 3/2 prop six 120 Sanyo NiCads (in 9 volt case) and micro GWS RC gear. All-flying horizontal stab for pitch and pivotting tail boom for yaw control. I call it the "TailWagger".

Jason Nowell photo.

Gary

#13 Greg Covey Oct 13, 2002 07:08 PM

Gary,

Ok, now that you've teased us, we're going to need a better picture than that! Perhaps a static ground shot showing the linkage.

Mine is still in stock form sitting patiently in the "room of many projects", my spare bedroom. :rolleyes:

So many projects...so little time.

#14 Looooeeee! Oct 13, 2002 09:00 PM

Sale price over on these...

I went to the HF website and the Micro Taxi and the Sky Runner are both $13.95. :o( Oh well, they still seem like a great deal.

Gary, how much did yours weigh after the conversion? I'd like to try this with ailerons and a DD CD-ROM motor.

Looee

#15 eparkflyer Oct 14, 2002 05:22 AM

Yeah, the sale price has been over for a long time...

but these seem to go onsale often... so we just need to keep checking every now and then!