RC Groups

RC Groups
    Batteries and Chargers
        109 fires?

#1 klique Nov 27, 2005 08:31 PM

109 fires?
 
I have had 2 batteries go up in flame in the last 2 weeks.I dismissed the first one as a lipo problem since it went into a failure on the display screen And before i could get it off it burst into flame on my tailgate of my truck.

The same thing happend today in my garage.I heard the od beep fault on the 109 and went over to it to hear the batt hissing .I opend the can and jerked out the charge plug from the lipo in the amo can ,then it blew up in the can on my bench .
Then the flame shot up and melted the lipos on the shelf above them.
I tried mooving the ones on the shelf, and one fell into the can with the burning one and it ignited too.
At that point i stopped and let it burn before i got hurt.
Now my bench is pitted and alot of things that were in a 5 ft radius are dammaged also.Not to mention 250.00 of lipo's gone.
Has anyone had this type of problem with the 109?
I am not gona use this 109 any more, it is only one month old at best.I have a second 109 that i bought a year ago and never had any problems like this.
What a mess in my garage.The lipo's that i was able to move i think will be fine.I now will be build a cinder block charge bin to charge these all separate,and more anal than before. I am glad i still have my house and my health
Ck

#2 PaulVi Nov 27, 2005 08:52 PM

Glad it was only a battery or two and not the whole shop.. Every thing is fine??

are both of the 109's using the same firmware version??

#3 TGoodwin Nov 27, 2005 08:53 PM

Have 3 of them. Never had a problem. Did you think about closing the lid on the ammo can?

#4 klique Nov 27, 2005 09:26 PM

It was closed until i unpluged it. I was gona try to get it out of the garage asp because of what happened previously.
I will build a lead that can be unpluged from the out side of the can.I have no problem with my other 109 but to have 2 fairly new batts go up on the same charger makes me wonder.

It could have ben way worse.Those 20 c lipo's are way expensive too.Both time it showed a fault on the screen.Then shortly after the burst.
A charger w a pyrometer switch is next.
Ck

#5 Spencer J Nov 27, 2005 09:35 PM

sorry to hear about your accident. I would recommend useing a cinder block and put the battery inside of it while carging, or, buy one of those 10 buck fireproof safe boxes.

#6 RCBABBEL Nov 27, 2005 09:37 PM

Have you read this thread?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443646

#7 klique Nov 27, 2005 10:14 PM

Thnx rcbable that thread confirms my suspicions for sure.Two types of people in there, ones who have had 109 fires and the ones like me prior to these problems who loved the 109.
The problems with it auto recognizing mine too has chosen the wrong amount of cell before a few times ,but i caught it.
I i didnt these two times of the fires.I am gona get a shultze or somthin w a pyro sensor. It is worth my house my health and my truck.
ck

#8 Fred Marks Nov 27, 2005 11:30 PM

AF 109 Fault
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by klique
I have had 2 batteries go up in flame in the last 2 weeks.I dismissed the first one as a lipo problem since it went into a failure on the display screen And before i could get it off it burst into flame on my tailgate of my truck.

The same thing happend today in my garage.I heard the od beep fault on the 109 and went over to it to hear the batt hissing .I opend the can and jerked out the charge plug from the lipo in the amo can ,then it blew up in the can on my bench .
Then the flame shot up and melted the lipos on the shelf above them.
I tried mooving the ones on the shelf, and one fell into the can with the burning one and it ignited too.
At that point i stopped and let it burn before i got hurt.
Now my bench is pitted and alot of things that were in a 5 ft radius are dammaged also.Not to mention 250.00 of lipo's gone.
Has anyone had this type of problem with the 109?
I am not gona use this 109 any more, it is only one month old at best.I have a second 109 that i bought a year ago and never had any problems like this.
What a mess in my garage.The lipo's that i was able to move i think will be fine.I now will be build a cinder block charge bin to charge these all separate,and more anal than before. I am glad i still have my house and my health
Ck

Please read Post # 8:

(http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2231439)

The fault described in that post has not been corrected as of this date.

#9 Eco8gator Nov 28, 2005 01:20 AM

The 109 is a pretty good charger, just have to remember to check the cell count after you plug the pack in to make sure its correct

#10 Dan Baldwin Nov 28, 2005 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eco8gator
The 109 is a pretty good charger, just have to remember to check the cell count after you plug the pack in to make sure its correct

The charger can change the cell count any time in the first 3 minutes, so checking the cell count when you first hook the battery up is not enough.

Klique; is it possible that the packs were already charged when you hooked them up?

Dan

#11 everydayflyer Nov 28, 2005 07:41 AM

There is one simple work around for those who can not or will not watch the 109 during the first 3 minutes (stage 1). Set the charge rate to zero and leave it there until stage 2 starts then set the charge rate.



http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=58


Charles

#12 RD Blakeslee Nov 28, 2005 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGoodwin
... Did you think about closing the lid on the ammo can?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=355739

#13 TGoodwin Nov 28, 2005 09:00 AM

The newer 109's beep when they switch charge modes so a quick check of the cell count when you hear the beep should not be a problem. After all you are still near the charger attending the charge rite?

#14 TGoodwin Nov 28, 2005 09:19 AM

I am not saying close the lid while charging to try and contain the intial fire ball. I think that would make things worse trying to contain it. I would charge in the ammo can and if the pack errupts then the fire will be contained and directed upwards. Once the intial fire ball errupts then close the lid to deprive the fire of O2 but do not latch it. I always carry fire extinguishers when dealing with Lipo's and have several mounted on the walls around the house, kitchen, garage, etc.. Seems to me if you try and contain the intitial fireball in a sealed steel can all you will do is pressurize the can and make a bomb.

#15 hoppy Nov 28, 2005 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TGoodwin
The newer 109's beep when they switch charge modes so a quick check of the cell count when you hear the beep should not be a problem. After all you are still near the charger attending the charge rite?

Wouldn't it ne neat if it beeped the cell count it selected twice before it moved on.

beep beep beep
beep beep beep

OK, it recognized my 3 cell pack correctly.:)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.