RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        GWS Tiger Moth Flies Inverted

#1 rcflyer11 Aug 02, 2001 07:55 PM

GWS Tiger Moth Flies Inverted

It took me a week to work up the guts to try this, but tonight was the night. It works! The Moth will fly inverted as long as I want with full down elevator and careful rudder steering. What a hoot! And yes... the wings are still in tact. What a great little plane this is!

Randy

#2 E6 Aug 02, 2001 08:34 PM

Cool!

How does it handle wind?

Al

#3 Karl Aug 02, 2001 08:36 PM

I used to fly my Lazy Bee (OS .10 glow) this way, though I never quite figured out how to turn while inverted, just did straight lines. Gotta like a design that can do a nearly axial roll with only rudder & elevator...

#4 rcflyer11 Aug 02, 2001 09:49 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by E6:
[B]Cool!
How does it handle wind?

Handles wind pretty well, too. It was calm when I did the inverted stuff though.

#5 jeffs555 Aug 02, 2001 10:55 PM

My Moth won't quite maintain altitude while inverted. I don't know if I don't have enough elevator throw or what. The first time I tried it, I had so much fun that I let it get too low. Just barely got it up right before it hit the ground. Luckily no damage other than a broken prop.

#6 Bill Glover Aug 03, 2001 03:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rcflyer11:
The Moth will fly inverted as long as I want with full down elevator and careful rudder steering
If it needs full down elevator to fly inverted how do you make turns without losing height?!

#7 rcflyer11 Aug 03, 2001 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Glover:
If it needs full down elevator to fly inverted how do you make turns without losing height?!
You don't http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/smile.gif The challenge is to keep the wings level. Otherwise it will half-snap out of inverted. My original concern was that the wing structure wouldn't take the negative stress of inverted flight. My model only weighs 7.4 ounces AUW and seems to take the stresses just fine. I'm happy http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/smile.gif

Randy

#8 Pork Tornado Aug 04, 2001 12:32 AM

Put some wheels on top of the wing and land it that way. I am full of useless ideas- That's why I have a degree in Industrial design.