RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Boats
        Question Dumas PT-109 wood kit

#1 Dandi6065 May 25, 2002 08:33 PM

Dumas PT-109 wood kit

Dumas PT-109 wood kit, is it any good?
I purchasde a smaller V hull kit and wasnt impressed. Any input on this one?

#2 Twmaster May 26, 2002 12:35 AM

I haven't seen the innerds of the PT-109 kit but if the Coast Gaurd 41 boat by them is typical I have to agree, not terribly immpressed.

Fit of the keel, sheers and bulkheads sucked. I have had TONS of extra shaping to do. I am still sanding and grinding to get the hull bottom and sides to fit right.

I will prolly not do another Dumas kit for a while.

#3 Dandi6065 May 26, 2002 10:24 AM

Well that answers my question, I thought it was just because the kit I had from Dumas was inexpensive, that's was the reason for poor quality.

#4 Twmaster May 26, 2002 02:55 PM

The Dumas kit is cheap compared to other makers of PT-boat kits which I have seen as high as $400. Of course those kits usually are larger and have nice things like hand laid fiberglass hulls.

One of the things I find funny about the Dumas kits are their build rating, 1 being lowest skill, 3 being highest skill. The PT is a 3, the 41 boat is a two. So, I figure the PT must have really crappy fit making it that much harder to build.

Even if they ever start to laser cut them they are still going to have to redesign the kits for fit. Guillow's did that, took the same crappy plans and cut them with a laser, now you get nice clean cuts for their crappy fit.

#5 Dandi6065 May 26, 2002 06:04 PM

Well its refershing to hear a candid review. Thanks
Dave

#6 slowflyer May 28, 2002 12:57 AM

Try www.microglass.net They sell very nice fibergalss hulls that come with full sets of plans for the decking and structure.

They even sell a MONSTER sized PT boat hull that is 8 ft long!! Just an idea if you're thinking about just building one up--Rob

#7 escipion Oct 22, 2004 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi! I made a Dumas PT boat a couple of years ago, the wood hull needs a lot of work and makes heavier the boat. If you don't mind I have some comments to you. Be careful when building the main deck the cabins and turrets must be done directly where they fit (instructions doesn't say that). The stuffing box of the hardware comes smaller than it is marked in the plans you will have to get one with the proper size, and the shaft need to be hold too in a place near its end to the motor other way it will vibrate to much.

#8 skimr09 Aug 09, 2006 12:58 PM

dumas pt 109

hey do any of you guys know where i could get one o fthe 33 inchers for under a hundred bucks, i built a small revell model really evjoyed building it.

#9 Kmot Aug 09, 2006 03:28 PM

Close enough:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE371&P=7

#10 smart_racer Aug 09, 2006 03:49 PM

Dumas has improved their building instructions and piece/ part fit, referring to Carol Moran + Jersey City tug kits, compared to Little and Big Shelly Foss tug kits

#11 rlboats2003 Aug 10, 2006 08:55 AM

Got on for $75 no running gear

Skimr

Have on that I purchesed on e-bay was sealed on opened the box t look inside. Typical Dumas Kit no running gear. The 1/30 is to far from 1/32. (have the microglass fiber glass hull)
Once I saw the difference it went on the for sale list. Contact me at rlboats2003@yahoo.com if you are interested.

Rich

#12 der kapitan Aug 10, 2006 11:56 AM

beware the cheapies

skimr09 quote:

"hey do any of you guys know where i could get one of the 33 inchers for under a hundred bucks, i built a small revell model really enjoyed building it"

Hi skimr09,

The Revell 1/72 plastic kit is a nice little kit, and surprisingly accurate. You
may not really enjoy doing the Dumas wood kit as much.

Both kits have been around for 30 years or so, but while the Revell model's
scale accuracy belies its age, the Dumas item truly shows the decades-old technology that went into producing it.

To get something decent out of it, you'll have to spend a bit more money to
upgrade what's lacking.

#13 tsenecal Aug 10, 2006 11:58 AM

If he liked the plastic revell kit, he might still be able to find one of the lindberg 33" plastic kits at his local hobby shop, or on ebay...

#14 steveciambrone Aug 10, 2006 12:47 PM

Lindberg PT 109 1/32

I had heard that Lindberg is going to reintroduce their 1/32 scale PT boat. It will sell for under $100 USD. I have mine with three Speed 400 motors and it runs great.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsenecal
If he liked the plastic revell kit, he might still be able to find one of the lindberg 33" plastic kits at his local hobby shop, or on ebay...

#15 Stryker_radar Jul 28, 2008 12:05 PM

Dumas PT Boat

Hi Guys, first post

I am right in the middle of putting the kit together and detail is nothing to right home about. I have spent most of my time trying to improve the kit.
It reminds me of the old 1960s kits where the parts really don't fit together.