RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Heli Talk
        Movin on up from Micros (to Swift)

#1 heli_newbie Oct 31, 2005 08:49 PM

Movin on up from Micros (to Swift)

I've been into micros for about 8 months now, and am nuts enough about R/C and helis in particular to know that it's time to move into something big (and electric). That something big is most likely a Swift. After seeing Fred Bronk fly his at an event and at a local field, it's a great looking machine that can be built to be VERY powerful, and looks well priced and very capable for the $.

So, I have a few n00b13 questions (I've searched on most of this, but couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for). Perhaps this can become the "I'm a clueless newbie from micros help me get into something big" thread for the Swift, as I've read over the other threads about power setups and it's still a bit beyond me.

1) I'm deathly afraid of glitching for something like a Swift (had my share with my Shoguns). So far my plan is to go with a QPCM RX (I have an Eclipse7 TX) and with a seperate battery/SBEC for the RX and servos. Is this a pretty good insurance plan to at least provide myself with some way of recovering should i glitch/get out of range? Is the seperate battery and SBEC overkill/stupid?

2) I want to build a pretty hot 3d ship. Is it possible to do this with multiple 3S-1p packs wired is series? Is it unwise to wire cells like this? It seems nice and modular, and I can use the packs for some of my other aircraft this way.

I'm sure there's more... TIA
Brendan

#2 Fred Bronk Oct 31, 2005 10:51 PM

Brendan, good to see you at the field. You didn't see the HOT setup on the Swift, but a good one for sure (1905/2 6s2p)

Don't be sold on PCM setups so fast. They don't cure a problem, just mask it. I have had almost zero problems with my setups. But yes, I have had a glitch or 2 from time to time. But I have flown through them.

An RX battery is fine and can be light and dependable. I would look at 1200ma 2/3 A pack to a 2500ma AA pack.
There are also fine ESC's that can handle 6s with BEC.

For the flight packs, I would use 3s2p in series. I think 4 packs is too much and you could would have to be sure all the packs were matched. Plus 3s2p packs are vesatle for other things.

Heck, $18 servos will work just fine for the cyclic too.

I am testing 2 more motors and will have feedback by the end of the week. Get your preorder in now if you want one!!!

FB