RC Groups

RC Groups
    Power Systems
        Goldberg's new speed 400 Husky, 6 servos required, what ESC should I use?

#1 phoneguy Oct 15, 2005 09:17 PM

Goldberg's new speed 400 Husky, 6 servos required, what ESC should I use?

1 Attachment(s)
Carl Goldberg is getting ready to release a favorite plane of mine, the good ol' Husky. The problem is that this plane, requires six servos because of the flaps. I plan on using a geared 6.6:1 Himaxx 5300. I have pushed a CC Phoenix 25 with four servos, but six I think it will smoke. Is the CC Phoenix 35 the way to go for this?

#2 Griffin Oct 15, 2005 09:42 PM

Consider the ParkBEC. 6 grams and will handle 6 servos and you can use your CC25 or other brand of ESC. $16 or so and you can order them from Stevensaero.com. I have two and since they are so light and cheap, plan to use one any time I have 4 servos or more. -Steve

#3 phoneguy Oct 16, 2005 06:53 AM

Thank Steve, You have saved my Husky from an "internal hazard", Now I will have to blame my crashes on pilot error. :D

#4 jmolwitz Oct 16, 2005 07:04 AM

Will this be a kit or ARF?

#5 phoneguy Oct 16, 2005 07:21 AM

It is an ARF, and has a stick mount, you can look at the instructions on Goldberg's website.

www.carlgoldbergproducts.com

#6 a320jockey Nov 15, 2005 11:36 AM

Which ParkBEC version is better? ParkBEC with 4 servos?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Griffin
Consider the ParkBEC. 6 grams and will handle 6 servos and you can use your CC25 or other brand of ESC. $16 or so and you can order them from Stevensaero.com. I have two and since they are so light and cheap, plan to use one any time I have 4 servos or more. -Steve

Hello Griffin,

I too have the same problem, with six Hobbico CS-5 Nano Servos (equivalent to the Hitec HS-55) to be used on my nearly completed Hobby Lobby Super Cub. It will use two servos on each wing (one for aileron and one for flap) apart from those for Rudder and Elevator. Power system will be PHX 25 or E-Flite 40 AMP ESC, with an E-Flite Park 400-3700 motor with 4.4:1 reduction and a 9X6 SF APC prop; Ultra 1500 3S1P battery. The receiver will be a Hitec Electron 6.

My first question is about the ParBEC's: I read at the Stevensaero page that there are two versions of the ParkBEC, one for 5V and the other for 6V. Which one do you consider better?

My second question relates to the use of four servos with the PHX 25 ESC. I am presently flying a Mini Funtana with this controller, 6.6:1 reduction, a 12x6 prop and a Thunder Power 2100 3S1P battery; no problems at all, however sometimes while flying I have heard the motor current unstable. Am I forcing the ESC, hence the current cuts? The ESC's instructions only mention that 4 servos is OK with the installed power system.

Many thanks for any help or recommendations.

Carlos A. Cordova
QUITO - ECUADOR

#7 Comatose Nov 15, 2005 03:00 PM

About your first question, the 5v version is the "standard" one and probably what I'd go with in this case. 6v will get you somewhat improved servo speed, torque and centering, at a cost of increased power consumption and slightly shorter servo lifespan. If you're flying a competition type plane or a helicopter, then the 6v is the right way to go. For a scale Super Cub, which probably won't be doing hard-core aerobatics, the 5v version will work fine.

#8 pda4you Nov 15, 2005 03:09 PM

Quote:

slightly shorter servo lifespan
Not to mention that some manufacturers don't recommend over 5v anyway. Picos are one, several other sub-micros do also.

5v is better IMHO.