RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamies (Kits)
        "Proud To Be Foam" Planes (Uncovered Foam Planes)

#1 Buzz_Man Sep 14, 2005 11:57 PM

"Proud To Be Foam" Planes (Uncovered Foam Planes)

I remember back in college (~1984, or so), one of my instructors was talking about r/c planes and he was somewhat irritated with "toy" planes that try to look like "real" planes. His opinion was that r/c planes should look "different" -they should look like anything except full size planes.

I liked that instructor a lot and I've often thought about this opinion.

Frankly, before I cut out a wing I usually try to make sure I get the Owens Corning & other printed graphics where it will show up nicely. It's obvious, some of you guys do this too. See, I actually enjoy going to fly my plane and have folks come over & ask me about it. Then I hold it up and tell them something like "Yeah, it's just foam insulation and hot glue", which is very obvious with my (usually uncovered) planes.

I mean, I really dig foam. I think it should be celebrated and left naked - out there for the whole world to see what it really is. This uniquely functional material is aesthetically pleasing, IMO.

Yeah, sure, it's certainly wonderful to see beautiful covered planes - and I even like some balsa planes. But to me, there's really nothing more visually appealing (from an r/c plane point of view) than an uncovered foam plane with the original graphics "out there" and displayed where all can see.

Someday I'm going to build a full size FFF Bird Dog with scaled up FFF graphics on the wing & fuselage. Can you just imagine how the competition will gloat when I win the AMA scale nats with my pink FFF Bird Dog?

Diggin' it man, I'm really diggin' it.

#2 Daniel G Sep 15, 2005 01:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine with just a bit of color.
The newest version has none at all. :D

#3 RS 38-40 Sep 15, 2005 08:00 AM

This is how I fly them :cool:
http://static.rcgroups.com/gallery/d...0_0749-med.JPG

#4 rcminiman Sep 15, 2005 09:12 AM

Interesting concept, must save a fortune on covering and paint! I like! Barry.

#5 Medve Sep 15, 2005 11:04 AM

It drives the perfectionists crazy at the field when you show up with a huge chunk of naked foam. AND IT FLYS! A friend and I flew a bird dog, 200% scaled up from the plans found on Ezone, and it was a blast. Keep it up.

#6 snolord1 Sep 15, 2005 12:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
me like :D

#7 rocstar Sep 15, 2005 12:33 PM

I agree. All of my foamies are naked. Mainly because my artistic skills look worse then naked foam.

I think we need t-shirts

REAL PILOTS FLY NAKED! :D

#8 e_gadgetgeek Sep 15, 2005 12:34 PM

I want to fly, not model, leave'm naked.

#9 Buzz_Man Sep 15, 2005 02:48 PM

I started leaving off the tape mainly because of time (lazy) then realized the weight savings & performance increases.

I still (usually) tape up the nose & bottom of flying wings (for wing strength and damage control) but that's pretty much it - and even then, why not use clear tape so the natural beauty shines through, eh?