#1 Photon Aug 21, 2005 01:59 PM

ParkBipe - Depron Biplane

3 Attachment(s)
Here is my latest creation.

Span: ~ 33.5"
AUW: 505g (~ 18oz)
Wing Area: 378 In^2
Wing Loading: 6.8 oz/ft^2
Power System: HIMAX 2212-0850, JETI Advance 18-3P, Tanic 3S 1550mah, GWS 9x7 prop
Draws about 10.5A at full throttle.

Made of 6mm depron and some ply. Has a Trike gear (Yes, I know it's unusual for a biplane :) ) which makes it easier to handle on a short slightly windy landing strip.

Had a few very nice flights, some of which tackled wind of about 10 - 15 mph

Here is a link to a flight video. Camera man missed the first landing, so we had another run for shooting the landing. Enjoy.
http://photoneffect.com/parkbipe.wmv

If any one is interested, plans will follow soon.

#2 JAM Aug 21, 2005 02:06 PM

Looks Great, Waiting For Plans

Tm

#3 Photon Aug 21, 2005 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the plans. Please let me know if there are any questions and I will try to add clarifications.

#4 JAM Aug 21, 2005 05:09 PM

Cool, Got Em' Saved.

Thanks

Tm

#5 BobFlyer Aug 22, 2005 09:42 AM

Bipe

Nice work..

I am partial to Bipe's

BobFlyer

#6 beamerdr Sep 09, 2005 06:16 AM

Thanks for tiled plans. I will build this one. :)

Scott

#7 Photon Sep 09, 2005 06:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott, be sure to post pictures when you're done :)

I just noticed I didn't post the tiled plans in this thread, so here they are.

#8 Photon Sep 09, 2005 06:52 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Here are some more photos for details.
Each photo has detailed description.
Front gear description was truncated. End should read: carbon tube bushing set in the motor mount stick.

#9 borisp Sep 09, 2005 09:15 AM

Great technical support!
Thanks Photon!

#10 Photon Dec 02, 2005 02:27 PM

After a few months of flying this plane dozens of times, it is still alive and kicking.

Here is a short video:
http://www.rcgroups.com/gallery/show...hp?photo=28372

#11 Photon Apr 03, 2006 04:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I was looking for a platform for my blip chip equipped aiptek camera, and decided to use this plane.
It added about 10% to the weight, which made it a little sluggish to take off, but it worked.
Here are some results.

#12 Hellflyer May 21, 2007 04:21 PM

I know its an old thread but...

1 Attachment(s)
Hey there Photon.

I liked the look of your Bipe so much that I went and made one myself! I adapted the plans slightly in terms of the construction of the fuse and the motor mount but in the main its the same.

She isn't as pretty as yours but I'm relatively happy with what is my second attempt at building planes. It took me about a week and half of evening building but its finished and I maidened her Monday. (Video to follow.)

I made a few adjustments to my shoddy control setup to the elevator and ailerons after the first flight and she now flies nicely.

I wondered if I could pick your brains a little though as tonight (third flight) I had a small disaster! The tail just in front of the vertical stab completely broke away during very sedate flying (I'm new to RC planes -especially building my own).

I managed to somehow get her down with no further damage but it was hairy! I wondered if you had noticed this particular part as a weak spot on your model? I suspect it is just a weak spot on my mine but the PVA is drying as I type so she be stronger than ever by morning!

I'll post a vid over the next few days. Thanks for the plans.

#13 Hellflyer May 24, 2007 02:39 PM

short lived fun!

So here is the video of the maiden flight as promised. Itís short but does the job.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690304

I repaired the faulty tail and took her out again last night but it was to end in disaster! Pilot error ended in a broken bottom wing, broken engine mount, broken wing strut and the top front fuse snapped off too!

I just didn't give it enough power on the turn and since I adjusted the throw of the elevator I just didn't have enough height, power or throw to make the half roll and pull out!

Its going to be an interesting repair job!

This plane is still enjoyable all the same and will be back in the air soon!

#14 Photon Jun 25, 2007 12:55 PM

Nice job Hellflyer
Sorry for not writing sooner, I just noticed your post today.
I have had some clues that the area you refer to is somewhat weak and can do with reinforcement. Mine never broke off, but I've seen a small crack appear after about 100 flights. I wasn't sure if this was a problem in the design or just a result of the abuse this plane went through (It had its share of bumps and bruises).
Now I know and will reinforce the area when I build another one.

It's a fun plane to fly and at times, some of the experienced flyers would borrow the Tx and would not want to give it back for a while :)

Have fun...

#15 BoomPlane May 08, 2008 06:03 AM

hey how did you paint it? :D whit some spray?