RC Groups

RC Groups
    Slope
        Combat wing design question.

#1 DennisRB Jul 03, 2005 08:27 PM

Combat wing design question.

Is it a good idea to have a slightly thicker tip section to aid in recovery and prevent tip stalling?

#2 steve wenban Jul 03, 2005 09:06 PM

Dennis Ive found with my new Swept wing Spade design that it recovers very well from combat contact , it still carries 3 degs of washout and is stable as the proverbial
brick outhouse :) I do not think that thicknening the tip section would achieve much at all IMHO
SteveW

#3 DennisRB Jul 03, 2005 09:20 PM

I wanted to do it instead of adding washout. I thought 3 degrees of washout would add a fair bit of drag? (more than a slight increase in thickness)

#4 Swoopdown Jul 03, 2005 09:34 PM

I had i faily thick home made combat wing with maybe about 3 degrees of washout and 10% mid cord and 12% tips and it did recover as good as anything i have ever seen or flown it was great in light lift and turned on a dime. It didnt keep up with the Zagis and Bees but it killed heaps of them beacuse it would recover after a big hit in about 2 metres. It was also very light but sufered from being to pitch sensitive. mmmmm if only i had the moded controler then.!

#5 DennisRB Jul 03, 2005 09:46 PM

mmm, well I am thinking of making something that is somewhere between a halfpipe and a zagi. That is fast and vertical, but strong enough to take hits, and have some hope of recovering. Its obviously never going to be as fast as a halfpipe AND as rugged and recoverable as a zagi. But I think a compromise can be reached. At Rosins the lift is so huge and the flying area is so massive that hits are rare, and I spend most of the time actually flying the thing, rather than crashing it, so flight performance is more important for me. It has to be able to recover though, it doesn't have to be in 2 meters, but it does need to recover.

If I were to make a pure combat plane, I would go for something like you made with thick sections and washout. But I wan't a speed combater. :D 90% flying fun and 10% combat. I am hoping the added energy it will have will help offset its less recoverable and heavy nature. I want to use the new PW51 foil on it. Its only about 1% thinner than the 5C foil anyway.

#6 Swoopdown Jul 03, 2005 10:09 PM

sounds good. I must say the half pipe blew me away the other week. I will be building one for myself or Dad or friend very soon.

#7 DennisRB Jul 03, 2005 10:14 PM

Sweet :D Oh yeah, its going to cost $30 just for shipping on the elevon stock, but I think if we stock up on it (lame pun) and get a heap, it may be worth it.

#8 surfimp Jul 04, 2005 12:09 AM

Make it just like a Wing Warrior Raider, those are the best I've personally seen so far :)

Steve

#9 Swoopdown Jul 04, 2005 12:13 AM

Wowings sells elevon stocks they are cheep and freight only cost 10 bucks. They are 12mm thick /70mm long and 1 mm thick at the trailing edge. If its cut down to 38mm (1 and 1/2 inch) the stock will be 7 mm thick whick i think will be on the money.
What do you think?? I need some epp from them so i may as well get some elevons.

#10 DennisRB Jul 04, 2005 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfimp
Make it just like a Wing Warrior Raider, those are the best I've personally seen so far :)

Steve

Are you saying not to waste my time and just buy a WWR?

The WWR looks so chunky from pics I have seen. I have never seen one fly but I want my design to be much faster than a normal combat wing as it's main first priority will be speed, and combat second.

#11 DennisRB Jul 04, 2005 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swoopdown
Wowings sells elevon stocks they are cheep and freight only cost 10 bucks. They are 12mm thick /70mm long and 1 mm thick at the trailing edge. If its cut down to 38mm (1 and 1/2 inch) the stock will be 7 mm thick whick i think will be on the money.
What do you think?? I need some epp from them so i may as well get some elevons.

Its close, 6.35 is 1/4 on an inch.

#12 Mr. Innocent Jul 04, 2005 12:40 PM

You really don't want speed for combat... and believe me, the raider can get haulin' when you want it to.

#13 DennisRB Jul 04, 2005 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Innocent
You really don't want speed for combat... and believe me, the raider can get haulin' when you want it to.

I know, but if you had not noticed. I wan't this plane to 90% speed and only 10% combat.

How thick is the raider airfoil?

#14 Mick Molloy Jul 04, 2005 10:37 PM

Raiders are cool
www.slopefun.com has sold them locally in Brisbane for a while, price has been good too PM Mafu on this forum to see if he has any left?

#15 zagiqld Jul 04, 2005 11:43 PM

all to complicated!