RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Do you run batteries all the way down after each charge?

#1 gassyanimal Jun 19, 2001 10:29 AM

Do you run batteries all the way down after each charge?

Do you run batteries down after each charge or just once in a while? Does it change for different types of batteries or does it matter?
Thanks,

#2 barn buster 50 Jun 19, 2001 10:46 AM

yes. it will keep your packs from developing a memory.

welcome to the zone http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/smile.gif

#3 member73 Jun 19, 2001 11:39 AM

Doesn't this depend on what kind of batteries? Nicads should be run down, but NiMh should not. I could be wrong its been known to happen.

#4 barn buster 50 Jun 19, 2001 11:42 AM

im not familiar wiht nimh batteries. i assumed you were talking about nicads

#5 Look Out! Jun 19, 2001 11:50 PM

Subject is covered plenty in the modeling science section. Many agree that a NiCad(nickle cadmium) battery should be fully discharged(down to one volt)before recharge. NASA discovered the "memory effect" when their NiCads were not exercised. Think of it as a sponge that needs to be squeezed out prior wiping up a spill. Nimh(nickle metal hydride) and Lithium ion chemistries are not as prone to these problems. Bottom line- for E-flight, run your plane 'til it cannot fly. Allow the battery to cool down. Charge your battery and fly again, or store the battery fully charged. Have fun.

#6 hoppy Jun 20, 2001 12:37 AM

I never run them down other than during flying. I wouldn't worry about a memory effect with the way we use them.
hoppy

#7 Fred Bronk Jun 20, 2001 04:46 AM

With the new chargers it is not nessesary to run packs to zero after each flight. In fact running packs to zero is what can cause damage, although that is rare now to with the newer cells.

You used to have to run batteries all the way down, just so you knew how much to charge them! Chargers are smarter than us and can charge a dead or half discharged pack now.

Just run as they are and trickle about once a month or so.