RC Groups

RC Groups
    Batteries and Chargers
        Idea Mod 12VDC 32Amp Power Supply : Need Help!

#1 RockDragon Apr 11, 2005 09:43 PM

Mod 12VDC 32Amp Power Supply : Need Help!
 
I want to use this hp PS-3381-1C1 hot swap Server PSU as my 12vdc PS.
Is there anyone know anything about this unit, especially the output pin details?


http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/...81-1C11of5.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/...81-1C13of5.jpg

Top Side output

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/...81-1C14of5.jpg

Bottom Side output

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/...81-1C15of5.jpg

.

#2 adamg Apr 12, 2005 12:08 AM

That looks like fun ;>

You will likely get better responses by posting this in the DIY Electronics forum a few blocks over.

#3 RockDragon Apr 12, 2005 12:35 AM

Thanks adamg.
.

#4 barry wilson Feb 03, 2009 02:33 PM

No expert here and have not experienced your problem myself. I wonder if your supply needs a load on the five volt supply to turn on the twelve volt supply? Some computer power supplys apparently do.

Think I saw a ten ohm power resistor used for this function. Probably ten watt rated and heat sync mounted to the metal case.

In the battery threads probably as I watch them. Keep in mind you could have a bad supply as well unless you have personal knowledge it was really working when extracted from a computer. Thirty two amps at twelve volts. Quite impressive. In my opinion the way to obtain a healthy charger supply for free or very cheap.

Just thinking that if you hooked your meter up to monitor the 12 volt supply and hooked a small brush type hobby motor across the five volt supply it might test if the load is a requirement. Also give it a little time for someone more knowledgeable about these supplies to respond. Generally they are pretty straightforward.

#5 everydayflyer Feb 03, 2009 03:21 PM

I realize that this is avery old thread however it seems like the surplus supply of IBM 235 hot sawpable PSs is drying up and the hunt is on for a replacement. I have recieved several emails and PMs wanting help with these I know as little about them as most others. Sure makes me glad I purchased all the 235s plus some spares while they were plentiful.

FYI The IBM 235 needs no load and is the safest / most self protected PS I have ever owned.


Charles

#6 barry wilson Feb 03, 2009 04:36 PM

How did I lock on that post anyways? Old as the hills.

#7 himagain Jan 29, 2010 04:02 PM

Power supply startup solution hp PS-3381-1C1 PSU
 
3 Attachment(s)
Hi Guys

Ive managed to get one of these power supplies powered up and working ok.

Its rated at 32A and I've had it running at 20A without it getting warm at all

Heres the solution ,

- Simply connect the 3 pins in the photo to ground. There are 4 grounds/negs, these are the ends of both sides of the boards.

- The 12+ is the long middle section on the top

- Connect all 4 grounds together and this is your negative. (note the thick white wire wraps top to bottom at both ends

- Cover the pcb with "Magic Plastic" to prevent any shorts

And your done

Any questions give me a shout

Enjoy

David

#8 lklunder Apr 20, 2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himagain (Post 14205992)
Hi Guys

Ive managed to get one of these power supplies powered up and working ok.

Its rated at 32A and I've had it running at 20A without it getting warm at all

Heres the solution ,

- Simply connect the 3 pins in the photo to ground. There are 4 grounds/negs, these are the ends of both sides of the boards.

- The 12+ is the long middle section on the top

- Connect all 4 grounds together and this is your negative

- Cover the pcb with "Magic Plastic" to prevent any shorts

And your done

Any questions give me a shout

Enjoy

David

David,
I have a this power supply (ESP113) and I want to use the 12V and 32A.
In your instructions to connect the pines to ground/negs I have a doubt because on the second and third pin there are .3v and 4.7v respectively, if I connect those pins to negative it may be cause a short circuit and damage the power supply ......Do you know if this may be a problem ???
Thank's in advance

#9 himagain Jun 25, 2010 12:54 AM

more detailed pinout details
 
1 Attachment(s)
Guys here is another image to try and made it clearer.

vlklunder the pins will have voltage on them but they are low current signal wires and its not a problem

Any problems give me a shout

David

#10 cherokee180c Jun 25, 2010 05:58 AM

Thanks himagain! I think the remote sense return was not working right for me because I never attached the nuetrals from the top to the bottom. PS is putting out over 12V now.

#11 himagain Jun 26, 2010 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cherokee180c (Post 15399005)
Thanks himagain! I think the remote sense return was not working right for me because I never attached the nuetrals from the top to the bottom. PS is putting out over 12V now.

Cool

Enjoy the AMPs :)

David

#12 Bmr4life Jul 02, 2010 12:34 PM

I was able to get two of these, I want to wire them up to make a single 24V source. Anything I need to do special other than wire them up as shown and then connect them in series?

#13 Bmr4life Jul 02, 2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by himagain (Post 15398214)
Guys here is another image to try and made it clearer.

vlklunder the pins will have voltage on them but they are low current signal wires and its not a problem

Any problems give me a shout

David

I'm not sure I get whats going on in the picture with the Pins. What are the numbers for?

Where are the other ends of these wires going? OOOOOOH. I think I figured it out. Orange to Orange, Black to Black, Red to Red, lol. I can handle that. :)

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...g?d=1277445243

#14 himagain Jul 02, 2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmr4life (Post 15453740)
I'm not sure I get whats going on in the picture with the Pins. What are the numbers for?

Where are the other ends of these wires going? OOOOOOH. I think I figured it out. Orange to Orange, Black to Black, Red to Red, lol. I can handle that. :)

http://static.rcgroups.com/forums/at...g?d=1277445243


Hi there

The numbers are the pin out numbers, the evens are on one side and the odds are in the picture. You don't have to worry about them, I just put them on for reference. Wire all three wires to the common (- neg), the negatives are the end contacts, all the negatives have to be wired together. The positive is the big one

Enjoy

#15 himagain Jul 02, 2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bmr4life (Post 15452947)
I was able to get two of these, I want to wire them up to make a single 24V source. Anything I need to do special other than wire them up as shown and then connect them in series?



WARNING........ If you make a 24v ps out of two of them make sure that the two cases don't touch each other or you will short them out...... Boooooom


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 AM.