RC Groups
    Foamies (Kits)
        Build Log WW1 Red Baron Indoor foamy

#1 pmjass Dec 02, 2004 05:49 PM

WW1 Red Baron Indoor foamy

5 Attachment(s)
Following on from my outdoor WW1 Depron models
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=288957

I've scaled the Fokker DR1 down for indoor and . Its wingspan is around 27", aileron tip to aileron tip (actual top wing is less as ailerons stick out).

I'll post some pics of the build below.

Motor for the prototype will be the Aircraft World CD-ROM u-wind motor.

#2 pmjass Dec 02, 2004 05:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more pics

#3 pmjass Dec 02, 2004 05:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more

#4 pmjass Dec 02, 2004 05:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And some more

#5 pmjass Dec 02, 2004 05:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last one for now

#6 MGoddard Dec 02, 2004 06:04 PM

Looking good as always !!!

#7 snolord1 Dec 02, 2004 06:06 PM

looks good PMJASS definately keep us posted...and yes i would be interested with plans. thnx
Angel

#8 pmjass Dec 02, 2004 06:26 PM

Thanks guys,
I'm happy with it so far. Hope it flies OK.

Peter

#9 cloudhopper Dec 02, 2004 06:34 PM

Great job :cool:look foward to the maiden report.What's the wing loading,size of depron?

steve

#10 pmjass Dec 02, 2004 08:25 PM

Haven't worked out wing loading yet.
Construction is 3mm Depron with Depron/Balsa laminate struts.

Weight so far 42 gms / 1.5 oz.

#11 tallflyer Dec 02, 2004 08:55 PM

Great job

I will add the link to this thread to my New site www.sdparkflyers.com

great job again!

#12 MyDeSoto Dec 03, 2004 01:25 AM

BEAUTIFUL PLANE!!!

I have but one question though. How do you (and other for that matter) get such nice, clean, SHARP cuts like that? Are you using a CNC Machine? Ply patterns? Etc.? It seems to be the only thing I can not master yet (all my cuts require a decent amount of sanding to get them straight or clean). I use CA reinforced posterboard templates, but still my cuts come out a little wavy from time to time. Even if I lower the heat on the wire, and cut much slower, I still get the waves. Please, fill us in on your secret! :D

Take care,
~MyDeSoto~

#13 pmjass Dec 03, 2004 05:44 AM

Thanks,
no secret really, mine are cut with a sharp knife.
I usually use scalpel blades; available from medical suppliers, here in Australia they are size No. 11, made by Swann Morton. I usually buy a big box and change them often. The other trick is to keep the cutting angle very low so
more of the edge is cutting.

As soon as a blade grabs throw it out.

The blades are also very useful (essential almost) when covering models with covering film; as with the foam, once it stops cutting cleanly, stop using it.

Peter.

#14 MyDeSoto Dec 03, 2004 08:42 AM

Peter,

Thanks for the tips and WOW!! You must be a machinist or a surgeon to have that steady of a hand! Congrats! Seriously though, thank you for the tips and heads-up on cutting tools. I have a medical supply store located in the next town over, and will take a trip thought there this weekend to see what I can find. I have been using regular cutting knife blades, but only because I had a ton of them. From either doing home repairs or restoration work on one of me cars, those blades always came in handy, and I purchase a case of them on eBay sometime ago. I always wondered it there really was a difference in the "sharpness" of the blades, and from your pictures have visual proof (not much more needed after seeing that!) of exactly how much BETTER the cuts can be with other blades!

Thanks again and beautiful work!!

Take care and have a GREAT WEEKEND!

Good on ya!
~MyDeSoto~ aka Clay Wood

#15 Lone Yankee Dec 03, 2004 12:26 PM

VERY not bad!

-LY