RC Groups

RC Groups
    Off-road Cars
        Cleanup after an off-road run?

#1 Ninjak2k Nov 29, 2004 08:20 AM

Cleanup after an off-road run?

After a nice filthly off-road run, is there any place I should be looking to clean up like the axle bearings to keep things rust free and running right or any other maintenance that should be done?

Has anyone run in sand and, if so, is there any special maintenance that should be done afterward?

Thanks,
Dan

#2 savage Nov 29, 2004 08:32 AM

Try using nitro clean. You can get it at your lhs.

#3 Ninjak2k Nov 29, 2004 03:43 PM

Thanks, savage. I'm not concerned with the oil residue from the fuel so much (as I only run electrics), but rather getting dirt, mud, sand, etc. in the bearings, components, and the like. Unless nitro clean is a general purpose cleaner?

~Dan

#4 Kiiski Nov 30, 2004 07:58 PM

An air compressor and Simple Green work great. Spray on the simple green, avoiding unprotected electronics and the engine, then spray it off with an air nozzle.
Kiiski

#5 lectraplayer Dec 01, 2004 09:21 PM

I usually seal all openings (I run nitro), and disconnect the battery, then I just use the hose pipe to spray it off. I will not reconnect the battery until next morning after the truck has fully dried off. I then will often tear it down and relube the bearings, but this isn't really necessary, but is highly recommended. Again, disconnect the battery and avoid flooding the radio best you can, and don't reconnect the battery until the next morning. Mixing electricity with water is where you get in trouble.

#6 Jbiker31691 Dec 02, 2004 05:35 PM

for in the sand baloon all your electronics. be sure to get ALL or the sand out of thhe gears and small crevaces.

#7 Pacoson71 Dec 02, 2004 06:41 PM

simple green and denatured alcohol for near the electrics works best for me.

use WD40 on bearings and dogbones to remove water
if you don't have compressed air

#8 lectraplayer Dec 02, 2004 08:56 PM

I often use isopropanol to do my cleaning, it takes off all the oil and grime and stuff really well. I only occasionally use the water hose when there's a LOT of crap on my car.

#9 cressers Dec 05, 2004 12:22 AM

strip it down, clean, grease and re-assemble.

Will last forever and fly.

#10 lectraplayer Dec 07, 2004 08:42 PM

Yeah, the cleaner you keep it, the longer it will last, whatever it be. :)