RC Groups

RC Groups
    Foamies (Scratchbuilt)
        Download Jerbear's Simple Wing

#1 Gene Bond Sep 30, 2004 11:25 PM

Jerbear's Simple Wing

7 Attachment(s)
Jerbear decided to try a simple wing design, following all the success he had with the flat-plate insulator. Following are the plans and some pictures of the one I built to prove the plans. I found that the original design needed a spar, after having the wings go into a high speed flutter a few times with my rather aggressive flying style :) The spar isn't shown in the early pictures, but is in the later.

Here's a video of a maiden as well... (He's not too proud of this one :) ): http://www.genebond.rchomepage.com/v...ple%20Wing.wmv

#2 Gene Bond Sep 30, 2004 11:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More

#3 Gene Bond Sep 30, 2004 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And...

#4 gpw Oct 01, 2004 08:01 AM

Wait till he finds out about Low Aspect Ratio....hahahahaha here we go again!!!! hahahaha

#5 emoone Oct 01, 2004 10:46 AM

interesting!

#6 Gene Bond Oct 01, 2004 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpw
Wait till he finds out about Low Aspect Ratio....hahahahaha here we go again!!!! hahahaha

Hehehehehe He is on a quest for speed :)

I promised that after the current super-secret project I'm fiddling with, I'd work on a small pattern-type plane that should work DD. The only problem is he is a dedicated 3 channel guy. He gets confused when the throttle is on a stick instead of the rear slide (HiTec Focus 3).

I need to get some fresh video, to show how well the plane actually does fly, since it's pretty surprising the speed and agility of a stupid flat-plate. I take back all the bad stuff I said about flat-plates, they have their place.

#7 Gene Bond Oct 01, 2004 03:10 PM

Oh yea, notice that there is 1" of dihedral on each wing...

This is part of the 'magic' which makes these things great. Just enough to keep it from being twitchy andunstable, but it actually flies inverted well enough to enjoy.

#8 ewo Oct 03, 2004 09:23 PM

Jeeze :eek:

Now i have another airplane i have to build :D Thanks guys :cool:

ewo :rolleyes:

#9 jerbear Oct 04, 2004 08:46 AM

ewo

you will really enjoy this one ..... good speed - even slows down decent - floats in for a very easy power/off landing - huge loops (inside and outside) nice rolls, and as gene mentioned ..... pretty easy to fly upside down. gene's and mine both weigh in at 4.3 oz. w/o battery. and as i am using 2s irate 830 packs, auw rtf is 5.7. j 250 really shines w/ direct drive at that weight .... flight times are 12 - 14 mins.
it is my current favorite to fly .... let us know how you like it, when you get around to it.

#10 spudandretti Oct 04, 2004 03:23 PM

Can not remember, what was the size bit you use to drill out the props for the j250, gonna give this one a try, fast build, looks fun.Thanks,Bud

#11 KsLarry Oct 04, 2004 04:28 PM

5/64 works for me. But get a 2nd. opinion !

#12 Cass Oct 04, 2004 04:29 PM

Man the flying wing stuff gets simpler and simpler! I love it, way to go guys. Nice vid too :). This one might be a good candidate for a sturdyboard, paper left on, type build.....

#13 jerbear Oct 04, 2004 04:30 PM

spudandretti

i believe it is a # 14 but not sure .... as mine is not marked. the easy way is to compare the shank portion of the drill bit to the shaft on the j 250. it should be one size smaller than the j 250 shaft to insure a snug fit. i also use a drop of CA.
hope this helps

#14 jerbear Oct 04, 2004 04:35 PM

cass

i am not sure of the weight on the sturdyboard .... it may work, i just don't know the weight difference between it and the blucore fff. as i mentioned the wing complete and ready to fly w/o batteries is 4.3 oz. i tend to believe it would work .... try it - you'll like it !!!

#15 spudandretti Oct 04, 2004 04:38 PM

thanks I will give it a try.Bud