RC Groups

RC Groups
    Power Systems
        Mac OS X Motor Performance Utility

#1 rccraigb Sep 14, 2004 08:20 PM

Mac OS X Motor Performance Utility

I've just made available a small OS X utility that calculates the thrust and power consumed by a two-bladed propeller driven by an electric power system. It's available at:

http://www.ceebeeaero.com/index.html

This is the text from the "Read Me" file that is included with the application:

AMP (Aircraft Motor Performance) estimates the thrust produced and power consumed by a propeller for an electric aircraft.

I wrote AMP so that I did not have to purchase PC emulation software, or bother someone in my club with a PC to run some numbers for me. I am making this early version available publicly so that it might be used for "rough" estimates - proven software must be used for any final calculations.

I spent most of the development time on the Propeller model, which is based on N.A.C.A. Technical Note Number 698. Right now, it only supports two bladed propellers up to 25 degrees in pitch measured at .75r. If there is sufficient interest, I will add data for three-bladed propellers and ones of higher pitch or different aspect ratio.

The Battery model is loosely based on Sanyo specifications for NiMh chemistry. It still needs some work, but should do well for most common conditions.

The models for the Gearbox and Speed Controller are overly simplistic. Again, though, they should work for initial estimates.

Of course, after experimenting with this application, users are encouraged to confirm assumptions and results using proven software (by either purchasing PC emulation software or bugging friends to run the numbers).

Feedback would be appreciated. I would also be very interested in empirical data to compare with the predicted results.

Craig

#2 Eljimb0 Sep 14, 2004 08:50 PM

Thanks, from a Mac user.
jimbo
"If you haven't had a Mac you have never really had a computer"

#3 twest Sep 15, 2004 06:35 AM

Thanks.

#4 BEC Sep 15, 2004 11:42 PM

Cool!! I'll grab it and give it a try!

Thanks.

#5 Goekeli Sep 16, 2004 12:02 AM

Thanks for this!!! I love my mac too!

Joe

#6 Hogster Sep 16, 2004 06:39 AM

Looks interesting ... I'll download it anyway, just to show my support for Mac programmers - Macs rule! :D :D

Good work! :cool:

#7 Ron Williams Sep 16, 2004 06:54 AM

Hi Craig -

I tried downloading the program but just got an Explorer window full of code. I'm on the latest OSX. ???

ronw

#8 Park_Pilot Sep 16, 2004 08:57 AM

Thanks a lot!

Samuel

#9 rccraigb Sep 16, 2004 09:02 AM

Ron,

That's odd. I had done my testing with Safari; when I tried Explorer, I saw a window full of code, too.

The workaround in Explorer: 'control-click' on the link and select 'Download Link To Disk'. That works.

Thanks for the interest!

Craig

#10 KillerAir Sep 16, 2004 10:08 AM

Does it work for OS9? Not on 10 for NT stability reasons, can't afford to have any downtime:O from doing client work.

Killer

#11 rccraigb Sep 16, 2004 10:26 AM

Unfortunately it can't run under OS 9 - it is a 'Cocoa' application from the ground up.

#12 Ron Williams Sep 16, 2004 04:50 PM

Hi Craig -

Thanks. That worked fine. Looks good.

Killer -

I switch back and forth between the latest OSX and 9 all the time. Very stable so far. The new OSX is light years ahead of the last one (a mess). Maybe you need one of the new G5 imacs?

I enjoy seeing your art/graphics when they show up. Nice stuff.

ronw

#13 macr0t0r Sep 16, 2004 10:18 PM

Not a bad program. May I make a request? Aallow me to specify volts per cell. Having to convert LiPo cells' voltage and internal resistance into NiMh values is a little tiring.

Are you sure you should auto-calc .75r angle? This will vary from prop to prop, so you may want to let the user override the default value (perhaps a checkbox stating "auto-calculate generic value").

Nonetheless, this is excellent work with a clean interface. It'll help me narrow the field as I try to engineer the next powerplant for my project. I REALLY like the ability to calculate estimated values at a given airspeed. Thanks!

#14 jojonz Sep 17, 2004 02:46 AM

Thanks for thinking of us Mac users, Craig.
It looks and works great.

#15 mdiehl Sep 17, 2004 10:50 AM

Amp

Just downloaded using Safari and 10.3.5, no problems seems to run fine. Thanks!

Cheers

Mike D.