RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale ARF/RTF
        Building a 43" span Bucker Jungmeister

#1 simano Aug 29, 2004 02:27 AM

Building a 43" span Bucker Jungmeister

The BU 133 Bucker Jungmeister has been a succesful aerobatic mount for many decades. First built if the mid 30's as an advanced aerobatic trainer for the pre luftwaffe pilots, it quickly became the best aerobatic plane for many years.

At the present, the C.A.S.A company in Prado, Spain restores Buckers as well as markets partial kits. Some Jungmeisters are still flying and represent a precious era of aviation.

This plane has always been a favotite of mine. I have built the ROBBE one plus I built a FFF 24" span one which I flew succesfully before losing it to an intermittent ESC over 7 months ago.

For a while I've had plans for a 43" span version. These plans were originaly published by Model Airplane News. I never got around to start building this one.....till today!!...

I'll try to be as thorough as possible in covering the building process in this thread...

Gerry
Orlando,FL.

#2 simano Aug 29, 2004 05:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This photo shows the plan layed out on the table. The first side is already taking shape. I'm using 1/4" square balsa for the sides. This should keep the structure light and strong.

#3 tim hooper Aug 29, 2004 07:09 AM

simano,

This looks good! :cool:

I see you're reducing weight already; what power train are you going to use?

tim

#4 CAFplanekid Aug 29, 2004 08:50 AM

There is a Jungmeister at the CAF headquarters hanger out here, they are neat little planes. I hope yours works out, i could get you some pics if you would like.
Jonathan

#5 4 Scale Aug 29, 2004 08:54 AM

I agree these are good subjects. I've often wondered what a light scratch built one might look like and weigh. Do you have a weight target or estimate? I'll follow this tread closely.

#6 simano Aug 29, 2004 09:38 AM

Tim, Greg

I'll be shooting for the 25 - 35 oz. range. I'll see what the empty weight will be before motor+battery and then decide on the power plant.

The original plans were drawn for a 1/4 scale. Therefore there are a lot of structural members that I will skip for this size (1/6 scale).

Need to go get more 1/4" square stringers to complete the fuselage sides and later on I'll start cutting the top formers (turtle deck and supports for the top stringers)...more to come...

Gerry.

#7 simano Aug 29, 2004 09:55 AM

Jonathan,

Thanks for the offer. Feel free to post as many pictures as you want!!

Gerry.

#8 guapoman2000 Aug 29, 2004 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simano
This photo shows the plan layed out on the table. The first side is already taking shape. I'm using 1/4" square balsa for the sides. This should keep the structure light and strong.

I am glad you didn't find any larger balsa planking such that you would have not gone any higher than what I see in the picture! The upper decking will curve anyway and it will look very SCALE and REALISTIC with the Turdle deck as a separate piece! :D

Very good and can't wait to see more pictures and progress, Buddy!

Carlos :cool:

#9 simano Aug 30, 2004 04:14 PM

possible scheme

1 Attachment(s)
A look ahead at what my preference is for paint scheme. This swiss yellow is beautiful.

Got more balsa today on my way to work (working second shift this week)

Hopefully will complete both fuselage sides tonight and should have them joined by tonight/tomorrow morning.

Gerry.

#10 guapoman2000 Aug 30, 2004 04:36 PM

Have you looked into the possibility in using the GWS BEAVER cowling instead of the expensive $35 molded one?

Did you go to Joann Fabrics for the Balsa or did you go by J&B ?

#11 simano Aug 30, 2004 04:44 PM

Carlos,

Yes, I got the balsa at the craft store. Building should pick up late tonight...more to come.

Gerry.

#12 guapoman2000 Aug 30, 2004 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simano
Carlos,

Yes, I got the balsa at the craft store. Building should pick up late tonight...more to come.

Gerry.

Gerry,

That's great! I am glad you have momentum on this project finally :D

Don't forget pictures! I Love to take notes :D

#13 simano Aug 30, 2004 05:10 PM

Thanks Carlos!!.

Yes I feel great about scratchbuilding again. The first cut is the hardest one, after that you pick up momentum and can't put the project down for too long.

I will keep good photo coverage.

Gerry.

#14 guapoman2000 Aug 30, 2004 05:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Gerry,

I am posting these pictures to give you even more momentum :D

Okay, the yard stick is to get it as good looking as your former ROBBE Bucker Jungmeister, remember her? ;) :p

Here's the pic's.....say, do you have that Bomber Jacket around still? Winter is coming and it will be great for photo session~! :D

#15 simano Aug 30, 2004 05:43 PM

Hey, I remember those photos!!...good memories indeed.

Let's hope the one I'm building comes out even better...

Gerry.