RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models
        Biplanes on sale at Harbor Freight!

#1 bykrdan Jul 27, 2004 02:00 AM

Biplanes on sale at Harbor Freight!

Hi guys - I used to wait around for Harbor freight to put their Sky Runner and Lightnings on sale (Graupner knock-offs); well, now they have an AcroBipe knock-off, too!

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91311

#2 fwilly Jul 27, 2004 04:26 AM

Nice find. 10" is a little smaller than the acro bipe isn't it? Could be better for actuators than the acro bipe.

#3 phuffstatler Jul 27, 2004 07:01 AM

Jut ordered 3 of them. Thanks for the info....

phil in austin

#4 schoey Aug 02, 2004 08:18 PM

As soon as I saw this post I emailed harbour freight for a shipping quote to Australia, thay just got back to me, $48US to ship one, I had also asked about getting more to see if I could get the shipping down a bit, but $56 for two and $63 for three (thats about $50AUD each at best).

Oh well I'll stick to scratch building for now, I did like that airframe though

Grant

#5 bleriot 11 Aug 03, 2004 01:56 AM

really nice and cheap plane!
but i live in france!!!!
patrick.

#6 bykrdan Aug 03, 2004 11:06 AM

Apologies to the international crowd... I didn't realize the overseas shipping charges got that high, that fast.

Out of curiosity, I checked with USPS. Even there, it looks like the best that could be done is about US$15.00 per "pound of airplane"...

#7 Tim Wolff Aug 03, 2004 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bykrdan
Apologies to the international crowd... I didn't realize the overseas shipping charges got that high, that fast.

Out of curiosity, I checked with USPS. Even there, it looks like the best that could be done is about US$15.00 per "pound of airplane"...

At .2 lbs ea. that's about 4 planes and packing for a pound. Not too bad per plane if you want 4. Then I think the exchange rate serves to crush the dreams of our friends overseas.

I checked at my local B&M for these. No dice :(
I'll post if they become available locally. I may be willing to ship them overseas if they do. I don't wish to pay the shipping within the US.

#8 demoman Aug 03, 2004 03:07 PM

Mine arrived today. Thanks for the head's up, bykrdan!

Nicely finished little bird. Here are some of the weights--

Total weight of all components (minus charger)-- 68 g
Airframe (with dd motor, landing gear, but without
batteries, battery holder/switch pod, charge jack)--51 g

Airframe without L. Gear--44g

So the battery, switch harness, charging jack pod weighs about 17 gm.

Landing gear about 7 g.

Motor and wires/plug w/supplied prop weigh about 12 g.

Unscientific experiment puts the thrust from the motor and supplied prop (4" diameter, not sure about pitch) at about 26 or 27 g (this figure arrived at by the fact that the fuselage, without wings or hor. stabilizer or battery gear, weighs about 27 g and there was enough thrust to more or less hover it).

The motor itself is a flat can dd thing with no markings (but slips out of a plastic retainer piece easily). it measures approx. 3/4" long, 5/8" diameter, and 1/2" on the flat of the can.

Supplied batteries seem to be 2.4 v. nimh.

Fit and finish of kit seems very good. Price is nice.

Upper wingspan is 15 1/2". Lower is 14 3/8". Chord for both is 2 1/2".

I'll try to get some pictures this evening.

#9 Kwok_Yu Aug 03, 2004 05:09 PM

demoman,

Thanks for all the info. How much was shipping from Harbor?

#10 demoman Aug 03, 2004 05:26 PM

I bought over $50 worth of stuff (a nice multimeter, a heat gun, some other things) so it was free.

Here's their shipping rates for the US

up to $14.99........$2.95
* $15.00 to $24.99....$3.95
* $25.00 to $ $39.99..$4.95
* $40.00 to $49.99....$5.95
* $50.00 and over FREE*

I took a look at Greg Covey's article on converting the Harbor Freight 'Lightening'--

http://www.smallrc.com/DWEHtml/docum...micro_taxi.htm

It looks to me from the pictures that the motor and related gear are the same, so probably a very similar conversion would work well?

#11 Kwok_Yu Aug 03, 2004 05:34 PM

Wow, quick reply. That's a good shipping scheme by Harbor. I need a digital multimeter too. Maybe also a digital caliper.

#12 Dan Leonard Aug 03, 2004 05:52 PM

Thats the shipping price!! But then they throw in a $5.95 handling charge on top of that :mad:

#13 Kwok_Yu Aug 03, 2004 06:32 PM

Thanks for pointing that out. That's pretty lame of Harbor. Almost deceptive. :eek: :eek: :mad: :mad:

#14 demoman Aug 03, 2004 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Leonard
Thats the shipping price!! But then they throw in a $5.95 handling charge on top of that :mad:

That's right. Forgot about that. I'm not sure if that applies to all orders no matter the cost/quantity but it did indeed apply to mine. Snuck it in, didn't even notice until I got a confirmation email.

#15 Bare Aug 04, 2004 12:08 AM

Just Wait a while.. Surely these are not made soley for HF.. soon some one else will be importing more from Aisa.. and prolly eventually selling them for less..