RC Groups

RC Groups
    Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric)
        zagis make great trainers

#1 mario alvarez Jun 16, 2001 07:37 PM

zagis make great trainers

For the record. I had zero hours flight time until today when I soloed my Zagi (Speed 400 w/ 8 x 500Mah). The wind was calm and it was a perfect afternoon for park flying. My first flight resulted in a crash since I had dialed in too much up trim. If it had not been a Zagi I would have walked away with enough scrap balsa pieces to build another airplane. I corrected the trim and released the Zagi for the second time. It flew beautifully. I executed all sorts of turns maintaining altitude and just getting the feel for the airplane. Very forgiving airplane. It tells to you when it is about to enter a stall. Landing was a non event (I did manage to score a goal with my Zagi though).By the sixth flight, I was executing loops and rolls and I was landing it a few feet short of my position. Holy smokes! Now I'm really hooked!
I don't think I'm an exceptional pilot for mastering flight the first time out(I'm 49 years old and I don't play Nintendo)and I still have quite a bit to learn. I do believe the Zagi to be a fantastic trainer and I would recommend it to anyone trying to break into this hobby (save the trees and can the balsa).
For my next outing I plan on using a mini hi-start to get to altitude in order to conserve electrons. Has anyone tried this before?

#2 hammertime Jun 16, 2001 09:30 PM

Congratulations on your first flights http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/biggrin.gif

I built a bungee launcher for my Trick Razor with the Zagi power setup (not being Joe Montana, I don't think i can throw it hard enough http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/smile.gif ), and have used it on my 400X Zagis a few times...if I don't do anything drastic on the way up, I can get about a hundred feet up before I turn on the motor.

Clear Skies
Jim

#3 2fish Jun 22, 2001 03:35 PM

actually you should go with the t52 the fly the zagi.thats what I did t52 is a great flyer and now I'm flying my terry.

#4 yb2normal Jun 22, 2001 05:10 PM

Hi Mario,

Don't sell yourself short. If you are doing loops and rolls after 6 self-taught flights, you are a pretty fast learner!

Or maybe I'm just really slow http://www.ezonemag.com/disc/smile.gif

#5 mario alvarez Jun 22, 2001 06:18 PM

Guys, don't think my loops or rolls were coordinated. I happened to yank on the stick, the airplane responded and I didn't auger in. If you get into trouble with it, just cut the power and you've got a glider. Besides what is the worse that can happen? I just feel that the Zagi is a great trainer.

Prior to flying the Zagi I had purchased a traditional balsa sailplane. On its first flight I stalled it and crashed it into the ground. The wing spar broke and I spent the next two weeks rebuilding and trying to learn how to use Monokote. I was learning how to build balsa airplanes but had no idea on how to fly R/C. So, I did my homework, and bought the Zagi.

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, guess where I'll be.