RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Smoothie Maiden and Mixing question

#1 dpoles Jul 01, 2004 06:56 AM

Smoothie Maiden and Mixing question

1 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally maidened my Smoothie last night.

Razor 400
GWS C box
APC 10x7
8 cell 950 Kans

I think this is the first straight plane I have ever built. The result being the first maiden without any drama!

I haven't flown since last Sept. so my knees were knocking. Guess it's like a bike though, it just climbed right out, straight and true. Easy circuits. Effortless loops and benign stalls. It is my new favorite plane. Just the right blend of stability and performance for my current skill level. I love this plane. The only thing I struggled with was the landing, it just kept gliding and didn't want to slow down. I kept going round and round and starting further out!

My question, I have a fancy new computer radio, don't know how I lived without model memories! Should I mix some rudder in with the ailerons to fix my crabbing turns? How much? Any other channels to mix?

thanks MM
D

#2 NeuronBasher Jul 01, 2004 09:05 AM

I can't answer your question, but I just wanted to comment that that's a great looking SmoothE. Is that wing covered in tape or Solite?

-Mark

#3 dpoles Jul 01, 2004 09:20 AM

all solite, lots of strapping tape underneath on the wing.

If I were doing it again I would sand the wing before covering.

#4 WSEN Jul 01, 2004 11:10 AM

I used quite a bit of mixing on my SmoothE (aileron-rudder) and it helps a lot as far as co-ordinated turns.

Rick

#5 dpoles Jul 01, 2004 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WSEN
I used quite a bit of mixing on my SmoothE (aileron-rudder) and it helps a lot as far as co-ordinated turns.

Rick

I have never used mixing before, so I have no idea if "quite a bit" is 10% or 90%?

#6 SKYPILEIT Jul 01, 2004 01:05 PM

Smooth-E...very sharp..!!

dpoles,I think you could experiment when turning just add a bit of rudder input and go from there...maybe start with 20% rudder/aileron mix....you re using the exact same motor/GB I am using for my Smooth-E (except batts)and I can't help wonder..did you build the sport version and what is the all up weight..??Thanks..

#7 WSEN Jul 01, 2004 02:07 PM

dpoles,
I started with 25% and worked up. Now I have 75% and it it not too much.
Rick

#8 dpoles Jul 01, 2004 02:07 PM

thanks!!