RC Groups

RC Groups
    Electric Heli Talk
        Balancing Corona blades on a KSJ Balancer

#1 Orion_V Apr 28, 2004 09:06 PM

Balancing Corona blades on a KSJ Balancer

What is the best way to balance Corona blades on a KSJ balancer. Has anyone done this? Was thinking about balancing them with the blade grips already attached but not sure if this is such a good idea.

#2 mando Apr 28, 2004 09:17 PM

I found it to be a great idea ! I had to turn down the smallest pin on the balancer to fit the blade grip but it worked just great . First , find the CG without the grips to get your reference for adding tape if needed .
Mount the pin in the drill chuck , mount the drill in the vise , bring the drill to speed and lock-in , and mill the pin to size with a file for a perfect fit for the blade grip .

Mando .

#3 Orion_V Apr 28, 2004 09:26 PM

Thanks Mando, yeah I tried it with the blade grips alreadty but like you mentioned you need to trim down the size of the smallest pin. Dont have a drill to mill this thing down though :(

#4 lasllc Apr 29, 2004 08:06 AM

Most likely obvious, but . . .
Be sure to index which grip goes with which blade.

#5 Orion_V May 11, 2004 06:20 PM

I use the smallest pin to balance my Eolo blades. I would rather not modify this pin. Does anyone have any other ideas how I can use the KSJ balancer to balance Corona blades?

#6 Heli Mod Man May 11, 2004 06:47 PM

I use mine wothout the grips on. It works great. the only thing is, the blades sit too high. So, I turned the see saw plate upside down on my ballancer. This allows the blades to hang down. Try it, you will see what I mean.

Matt.......

#7 TMorita May 11, 2004 06:56 PM

Here's an alternate way of balancing blades using the KSJ blade balancer which works with the Corona. You will need a good-quality digital scale with a resolution of at least 0.1 gram (0.01 is even better) to use it.

1. Use the KSJ blade balancer to find the CGs of the blades
2. Apply electrical tape until you get the blades CGs to match
3. Use the digital scale and weigh the blades
4. Add electrical tape to the CG of the lighter blade until the blades weigh the same

This isn't as accurate as using the KSJ blade balance for both steps, but it works reasonably well for my two Coronas.

Toshi

#8 Orion_V May 11, 2004 09:32 PM

Thanks guys!

Matt...

Yeah I originally tried balancing these blades with the "seesaw" right side up but they sat too high. Your method seemed to work. Got'em all balanced up. Hopefully I'll be set for a weekend flying session! :cool:

Cheers!

#9 Heli Mod Man May 11, 2004 09:36 PM

Cool!

So, I am hoping to hear of your Corona up and flying with the new crutch soon! :D

Matt.........