RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Fuel Planes
        Paint bleed under tape - How do you avoid

#1 edkoz Mar 18, 2004 05:23 PM

Paint bleed under tape - How do you avoid

What's the best way you prevent the paint from bleeding under the tape when painting foam??

I'm using the blue painters tape for masking.

Ed

#2 rcpilot20 Mar 20, 2004 09:11 PM

very light cotes at a 90degree angle

#3 rcalfred Mar 21, 2004 10:43 AM

Be sure to burnish the edges down. I use an old prop to do this. Regards.

#4 hawker3119 Mar 21, 2004 09:17 PM

Hi there i use what is called an edge tape it is a plastic tape 1/4 wide the blue one will do a 3" circle you just press this down firmly then you can put your masking tape up to this it is known by many names ie:cut tape because as you remove the tape it cuts the edge not drag the edge and paint will not wash under, the tape i use is 3M, 471,vinyl tape blue hope this helps

#5 dcairns Mar 22, 2004 05:24 PM

I use the tape they sell for painting plastic models. Rather expensive, but it does give a sharp edge.

#6 edkoz Mar 22, 2004 06:29 PM

Bleeding

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to all of you for your input.

Something else I learned is to put two thin coats of clear polycrylic on the tape line and then apply your color over that.

Remove the tape as soon as you're done painting. I used a small artists brush to apply the clear.

I've attached a pic of the finished product.

Once again, THANKS for all your help.

Ed

#7 Tim Jonas Apr 01, 2004 09:07 AM

what I do is tape the model, then hit the edge of the tape with the same color that is underneath it. Then I paint the color over that.

#8 fastang Apr 07, 2004 11:49 PM

I do what Tim Jonas does. The best part is that it forgives many flaws with your masking job. I use some blue painter's masking tape from Home Depot or Walmart and some red vinyl stuff that I stocked up on from Tower Hobbies many years ago.

Brad

#9 Slope Nut Apr 11, 2004 07:15 AM

You can also just spray the masked (tape) area with light coats of Testors clear coat from a can which seals up the tape edges. Jim Ryan turned me onto this after I pesetered him into telling me how he was able to achieve such great clean lines.

Greg

#10 Campy Apr 11, 2004 05:24 PM

Different types of blue painter's tape

FWIW - Be careful with the blue painters tape. There are TWO grades of adhesive. One is low/low-medium and the tape appears to be a smooth "paper". The other is a medium adhesive and the tape has a textured/mottled appearance. If you are taping/masking over recently painted areas use the low/low-medium or you will pull up the underlying paint.