RC Groups

RC Groups
    Parkflyers
        Cul de sac Flyer

#1 boomerace Jan 14, 2004 03:18 PM

Cul de sac Flyer

1 Attachment(s)
Something to do on a rainy day. Used the carbon tube fuse from the BugZ. WS is 30" and AUW with 7 cell NiMH pack is 6.4oz. Flew it between showers last night... slow and stable.:D
boomer

#2 boomerace Jan 14, 2004 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
another

#3 Bill Germanson Jan 14, 2004 04:07 PM

BIG FIN - Guess that's why they call it a vertical "stabilizer "

Really like the airfoiled wing. Is it all balsa?

Very cool!!!

#4 boomerace Jan 14, 2004 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Bill Germanson
BIG FIN - Guess that's why they call it a vertical "stabilizer "

Really like the airfoiled wing. Is it all balsa?

Very cool!!!

All balsa. This is the way I always built my indoor flyer wings when they were rubber powered.
boomer

#5 dlps Jan 14, 2004 04:49 PM

Boomer - what power plant are you using....?"

Cheers.........Doug

#6 boomerace Jan 14, 2004 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dlps
Boomer - what power plant are you using....?"

Cheers.........Doug

The tiny GWS RXC-B a little wimpy but flys the plane OK. I might stick on a IPS S1 I have in the parts box but it would add a little weight. If the weather ever clears I wamt to fly this more to see if I need the extra power.
boomer

#7 dlps Jan 14, 2004 05:12 PM

Thanks Boomer - I'm looking for something light to fly from my balcony (and return) - your cds flyer would seem to fit the bill nicely!
I assume you used the TLAR principle to design it?

Cheers.......Doug

#8 boomerace Jan 14, 2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by dlps
Thanks Boomer - I'm looking for something light to fly from my balcony (and return) - your cds flyer would seem to fit the bill nicely!
I assume you used the TLAR principle to design it?

Cheers.......Doug

For this kind of plane I pick a rib chord based on wingspan that an estimated flying weight will give me a wing loading of somewhere around 6 to 7 oz a sq. foot so it will handle a little wind and then make the rib thickness about 12% of the wing chord to give me high lift and a slow wing. I like a oversized stab and rudder as it seems to give me better turning ability at slow speeds.
boomer

#9 boomerace Jan 14, 2004 05:39 PM

Doug,
Actually if you don't want to fool with scratching one out the Gym-E from Todd really fits the bill. I can land it inside my garage and like Martin can take it for walks! Great little plane but I already have one of those so wanted something else plus I was out of something to do!:D
boomer

#10 dlps Jan 14, 2004 05:47 PM

Boomer,

You've got it in a nutshell - that's exactly what I want to do with it.
The only negative I have with ordering anything from the States is the exorbitant cost of transportation - which is why your cds flyer appealed to me - plus I like scratch building too.....

Cheers........Doug

#11 Martin Hunter Jan 14, 2004 06:00 PM

Cool plane, boomer! She's like a duskstick/Gym-E hybrid. That first pic has some odd perspective - it makes the airfoil appear much thicker than 12%. I was going to ask thickness until I read you already said it :D

Martin

#12 boomerace Jan 14, 2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Martin Hunter
Cool plane, boomer! She's like a duskstick/Gym-E hybrid. That first pic has some odd perspective - it makes the airfoil appear much thicker than 12%. I was going to ask thickness until I read you already said it :D

Martin

Yeah a 3d item doesn't always look right in 2 dimensional pics!
boomer

#13 larry g Jan 14, 2004 06:35 PM

boomer, could you draw out a rib pattern for your wing and post
it , sure looks good. thanks larry g

#14 dlps Jan 14, 2004 06:43 PM

Boomer - I agree with Larry G - it would assist me also...

Cheers.......Doug

#15 Gene Bond Jan 14, 2004 06:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Boomer, reminds me of AZ Chuck's PFC in a lot of ways... http://www.azchuckrc.net/plans/PFC/pfc.html

This was my first scratch-build... I think you might have higher wing loading, shorter chord, and a little thinner airfoil, but then again, the PFC is only 3.5 oz/sqft... I chopped mine down and V-tailed it for a no-wind / indoor / lighted midnight flyer....