RC Groups

RC Groups
    Balsa Builders
        Question 12 Foot Telemaster Plans from Hobby Lobby

#1 getndirty Feb 11, 2013 10:33 AM

12 Foot Telemaster Plans from Hobby Lobby

The 12 foot Telemaster has been on my build list for ages - I see that Hobby Lobby is selling "Old Plans for 12 Foot Telemaster". Are these assembly plans for a kit or are they enough to scratch-build from? I'd like to know before I drop $70 on what might turn out to be worthless paper.

#2 epoxyearl Feb 13, 2013 06:26 PM

Hold on just a doggone second there ! I have a set (I think) for 'way less than that..

If you'll let me check in the morning, I'll PM you...Mine are definitely builder's plans, with all parts shown, including the wire landing gear.
Earl.

PM sent.

#3 Nergall Feb 13, 2013 09:32 PM

I'd like to know as well?

Seems like with the old Telemaster the only part template you'd need would be one rib?

But, like the first poster, I'd rather know for sure??

#4 epoxyearl Feb 13, 2013 10:22 PM

As I recall, you'd need firewall and landing gear mount formers, along with wire shapes, to scratch build one.
All sizes and cross sections are displayed on the drawings. Rudder and stab tip outlines are laid out as well as wing tips.

I have no doubt one could be built from scaled drawings,but building over full size drawings is the easy way out.

#5 epoxyearl Feb 14, 2013 07:05 AM

Update

The 12' Telemaster plans, I built mine from ,are NOT from Hobby Lobby

Let me Qualify that by saying there's no Hobby Lobby "blurb" anywhere.

There is a name "Aero Craft Ltd, By J Engle. These plans show engine installations of Zenoah G-23 and up..
It is also suggested that electric motors,such as AXI 5330-24,with 10s lipos can be used.
This is certainly a scratch builder's plans set, with patterns to make all the parts.
I doubt if they could be used to build a Hobby Lobby kit, other than for reference.

Some of the wing center section parts show evidence of being designed for laser cutting,although hand made parts would suffice..

I bought these plans on line,and since I scratch build a lot, there was no problem building one. We used a Zenoah G-62.

#6 getndirty Feb 14, 2013 07:55 AM

Aero Craft (at least form my understanding) used to produce the Telemaster kits for Hobby Lobby - don't know if they still do or not, so those plans should be exactly what I'm looking for.

#7 epoxyearl Feb 14, 2013 09:02 AM

'nother PM sent

#8 Nergall Feb 14, 2013 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by getndirty (Post 24132110)
Aero Craft (at least form my understanding) used to produce the Telemaster kits for Hobby Lobby - don't know if they still do or not, so those plans should be exactly what I'm looking for.

I'm pretty sure they still do, but for some reason, they aren't allowed to sell the kits anymore, though they did not too long ago.

Maybe one of us should just e-mail Hobby Lobby?

#9 epoxyearl Feb 14, 2013 07:04 PM

Only Hobby Lobby sells the kits currently, at what some are saying are outrageous prices.

I never attempted to do a kit or ARF, just the scratch builds.....I take liberties anyway, with flaps and bomb (candy) bays and windows,real windows.

#10 Nergall Feb 14, 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by epoxyearl (Post 24138063)
Only Hobby Lobby sells the kits currently, at what some are saying are outrageous prices.

I never attempted to do a kit or ARF, just the scratch builds.....I take liberties anyway, with flaps and bomb (candy) bays and windows,real windows.

Pretty sure I was one of those people on this site complaining about the price.

:D

#11 epoxyearl Feb 14, 2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nergall (Post 24138294)
Pretty sure I was one of those people on this site complaining about the price.

:D

I built one for less than $100, not counting covering,which you gotta buy anyway.I emptied the scrap wood box, and used some white pine outside corner trim as longerons...I could cover it with scraps of twenty different colors,but I won't.

My brother took it to Oklahoma, before I could !

#12 Old Goat Feb 22, 2013 06:47 PM

PM Sent

#13 epoxyearl Feb 23, 2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Goat (Post 24219998)
PM Sent

To whom? I didn't get one. Earl

#14 Nergall Feb 23, 2013 10:43 AM

Me either. ;)

So, what's the opinion then? Sounds like the plans might be worth buying?

#15 epoxyearl Feb 23, 2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nergall (Post 24226012)
Me either. ;)

So, what's the opinion then? Sounds like the plans might be worth buying?

I sent The OP a set- what does he think?