RC Groups

RC Groups
    Chit Chat
        Question Why aren't there more women into RC?

#1 NCC1701D Feb 09, 2013 05:08 AM

Why aren't there more women into RC?

What is it about this hobby that tends to attract dudes only?

#2 addictedtoplanes Feb 09, 2013 10:21 AM

I don't know. My mom is getting into flying, and there are a few women at our club. The girls at school laugh at me because I fly.:(:(

#3 Underthetire Feb 09, 2013 10:28 AM

Because most women think of us as suspender wearing boys with toys and nerd glasses. Then you find one that loves planes and trains, and you hold on tight to that one.

#4 Mark Wood Feb 09, 2013 12:42 PM

In general, women don't "do" hobbies. Think about it.

mw

#5 56S Feb 09, 2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Wood (Post 24083050)
In general, women don't "do" hobbies. Think about it.

mw

I would say women in general do not require a hobby to spend money. That would be too restrictive.;)

#6 Mark Wood Feb 09, 2013 05:31 PM

Ooo. Good point!

mw

#7 WildWings Feb 09, 2013 06:59 PM

I though the hobby that women enjoyed most was, “spending money”! ;)

Larry

#8 addictedtoplanes Feb 10, 2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underthetire (Post 24081931)
Because most women think of us as suspender wearing boys with toys and nerd glasses. Then you find one that loves planes and trains, and you hold on tight to that one.

Yup. I'm the class nerd, and in my class, there are some people who spend their entire time in front of the computer, playing kiddie games on kiddie websites.

#9 HeliSmith Feb 10, 2013 05:39 PM

Testosterone is probably the major driving force. R/C is challenging in the sense of danger/risk which is what dudes usually look for in life. Women are social beings, nurtures, big hearts and they smell terrific :) Some could still be inspired to this personal challenge of ours

#10 KiwiKid Feb 11, 2013 03:13 AM

It would be interesting to know on average, what percentage of women have got into the hobby of their own volition - that is excluding nut jobs who have developed an OCD about RC planes and wives/girlfriends and relatives of flyers. For example, in NZ, with around 2.25m women, I know of only one woman who fits the bill.

We can always gain some comfort from our little fantasies :D

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/thumb...=threadgallery

#11 Micubano Feb 11, 2013 02:19 PM

My wife is the reason

My family was out on one of the bigger lakes here. We were sitting anchored about 75' from shore and the kids were swimming when I decided to throw my stock Traxxas Blast in the water. The Blast is a nice little boat with a decent turn radius. I drove it close to shore and then out into the deep part of the lake. My dad tried it out. My 7 yr. old son even went around a buoy about 50' away a few times. I asked my wife if she wanted to try and she said yes. The two rules were do not hit the bigger boat and do not go near the shore with it. I watched her run it straight onto shore and beach it. When she looked at me she said "this is why I don't do these things". She had 75' to turn a boat that is not known for it's speed using a 2 stick, 2 channel controller and failed.

How many of you with RC boats ever had to swim to shore to rescue your boat?

#12 traxxas13 Feb 13, 2013 05:57 PM

i have never had to swim to shore to rescue a boat cause im always standing on the shore when i use mine.

#13 NCC1701D Feb 13, 2013 06:16 PM

I don't think I'd ever try an RC boat. Seems more accident prone than a heli.

#14 Tomdomification Feb 14, 2013 04:29 AM

I personally don't know anyone that flies RC but my sister has a Mini LOSI car. I don't really know why not but I suppose self-consciousness might be a problem. It would be kind of awkward being the only female at a club etc.

Tom

#15 Micubano Feb 14, 2013 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by traxxas13 (Post 24127197)
i have never had to swim to shore to rescue a boat cause im always standing on the shore when i use mine.

Having a little boat on a big boat can be handy. With a little foam barge you can deliver stuff to another boat and the big boat is my recovery boat, so I only need one RC one...for now.