RC Groups

RC Groups
    Power Systems
        Cool Brushless motor and single conversion Rx

#1 dru Dec 27, 2003 10:44 PM

Brushless motor and single conversion Rx

I tried to search on this but only got info on brushed motors.

Do brushless motors put out any more or less RF noise compared to a brushed motor? I would like to know because I am going to return a couple of my Christmas prizes on Monday and get my first brushless motor and ESC. It will be going in my 27 inch foamie Edge with a single conv Rx and am a little worried about doing a figure 9 landing because of lock out.

Thanks.

Dru.

#2 dru Dec 27, 2003 10:44 PM

Brushless motor and single conversion Rx

I tried to search on this but only got info on brushed motors.

Do brushless motors put out any more or less RF noise compared to a brushed motor? I would like to know because I am going to return a couple of my Christmas prizes on Monday and get my first brushless motor and ESC. It will be going in my 27 inch foamie Edge with a single conv Rx and am a little worried about doing a figure 9 landing because of lock out.

Thanks.

Dru.

#3 sguty Dec 27, 2003 11:19 PM

Traditional wisdom says the brushes and commutators on a brushed motor put out a lot of RFI. I've found I needed to create a rough simulation of a Faraday cage on brushless planes with long leads to the motor and/or long servo leads (e.g., EDFs) by wrapping the wires in Al foil--doubled the range-check distances with the motor on.

Steve Guty

#4 mark_q Dec 28, 2003 12:14 AM

It has been my experience there is far less RF created in brushless set-ups. No brushes means no sparks, a large source of electrical noise. I am running JR600 rx, Berg 5DSP rx and Hi-Tech Electron 6 rx in my planes and I have NEVER had any glitching or subsequent electrical noise. In all cases I am using Castle Creations Pheonix controllers.

I think your safe - Mark

#5 boomerace Dec 28, 2003 12:25 AM

I run single conversion all the time on my brushless motors with no problem! The motor is not the problem but you can get glitches from outside interference that a dual conversion might filter out. I've had a few hits generally without carnage. However it was while I was flying in a area under construction with a lot of 2 way radios in use.
boomer

#6 mmormota Dec 28, 2003 03:17 AM

I run brushless motors and single conversion receivers without problems too.

"Single conversion" does not mean "low quality", there are better and not so good single conversion receivers too.
I have Jeti Rex5+ and Schulze single conversion receivers. I did a range check test with the ACT SmartScan double conversion receiver and the above two.
I found the Schulze to be the best, useful distance in the percentage of the Schulze: ACT 70%, Rex5 30%

(It was a simple test, the 3 receivers are switched on same time, servos on the outputs. One guy is observing the servos, the other is walking away with a closed antenna transmitter. Range is ok if it is possible to control the servos, and errenous movements are not too high...)

#7 Andy W Dec 28, 2003 06:41 AM

Less, as posted, but depending on the particular Rx and where you fly, I would consider returning your SC receiver and get a dual conversion, or at least a good DSP Rx (i.e. Berg), instead..
..a

#8 Fantam Dec 28, 2003 08:01 AM

I am using a GWS Naro receiver (single conversion) on a Formosa with a Mpjet brushless motor. I have never had a glitch and I sometimes let it get pretty far away too. It's so fast that it's hard not too.

#9 dru Dec 28, 2003 09:50 AM

I have 3 Cirrus MXR4's, 1 Dymond micro Rx, 2 Hitec Feathers. Where I fly is out in the middle of no where. I am about 70 miles east of San Diego so I have only 1 neighbor. I fly my glow planes without a glitch. They all have dual Rx's. The 4 Electron 6 Rx's I have have work very well.

I don't worry to much about a glitch when I have a $15.00 motor gear box on the nose. It is that I am now flying with a $100 brushless motor ESC combo and I am not made of money.

As money and time make it possable I am going to start to replace the Single conv Rx's with dual ones.

Dru.

#10 Chuck Dec 28, 2003 05:35 PM

I use Berg-5 rx's with my BL motors and have never had a glitch.

Chuck