RC Groups

RC Groups
    Flying Wings
        Question Looking for simulation software to test CAD model?

#1 RobertTHaas Feb 07, 2013 04:03 PM

Looking for simulation software to test CAD model?

Is there any software out there that can apply some basic simulation on 3D models? A client I use to work with I believe said there was a flight sim that allowed you to import a mesh file and it would apply some basic gaming engine physics to the model.. I think it was real flight?

#2 Andy_RR Feb 07, 2013 04:31 PM

Lowest cost thing (free) that is not a complete waste of time is XFLR5. The next step from there is CFD. OpenFOAM is one open-source solution for CFD, but the learning curve makes climbing Everest seem like a short stroll in the park...

A

PS: forget flight simulators as aerodynamic simulations. They will very quickly lead you astray.

#3 deuxchevaux Mar 31, 2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertTHaas (Post 24064813)
Is there any software out there that can apply some basic simulation on 3D models? A client I use to work with I believe said there was a flight sim that allowed you to import a mesh file and it would apply some basic gaming engine physics to the model.. I think it was real flight?

Robert did you get an answer to this question? Of the flight simulators, I've heard of x plane being used this way... not sure about the mesh import though.

malcolm