RC Groups

RC Groups
    Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric)
        Question Is this a good offer

#1 HelloNello Feb 04, 2013 09:33 PM

Is this a good offer

Hi, just saw this and was not sure if it was a good buy or not.

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/p-10...elicopter.aspx

#2 Lentar Feb 04, 2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HelloNello (Post 24036777)
Hi, just saw this and was not sure if it was a good buy or not.

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/p-10...elicopter.aspx

No, its not. For under US $200 you can get a name-brand 450 size heli with a simple transmitter like the E-Sky Belt CP-X.

If you want to try your hand at a CP heli, go for an ultra-micro. Even if you crash it, it is more crash resistant and will suffer little, if any, damage compared to a larger heli. It is less dangerous, cheaper to buy, with cheap replacement parts.

Have a look at the Skyartec Wasp Nano CP. US $110, and it has a beginner mode set on the heli, unlike the others. Post a 3 min flying video on YouTube, and you can get free batteries and spares from the manufacturer using an ongoing promotion.

#3 jasmine2501 Feb 04, 2013 09:52 PM

No I would say not... it's pretty expensive for a clone of an old design. I also don't recommend these type of kits for beginners because they often have problems which the beginner doesn't know how to fix and that leads to crashes and an endless cycle of repairs and more crashes and you never learn to fly, and never experience what it's like to fly a helicopter that works right. And, in spite of being 2.4GHz, the radios typically suck, and you can't adjust things to set it up for a beginner.

So, you have two choices - buy a more expensive RTF with better quality, or build yourself a kit and choose the price and quality level you want. Here's some options...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...3d-rtf-BLH1600 ($470)- Blade 450 3D RTF. This starts you off with a good quality radio, which is a huge plus in this hobby, and the helicopter can be flown as a trainer with the assistance of a local expert and lots of simulator practice.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...-x-rtf-BLH3300 ($190)-Blade Nano CPX RTF. This is a more appropriate trainer helicopter, but the radio won't be useful for larger helicopters.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_Compat_.html ($60)- HK 450 Pro GT Kit. Clone helicopter kit - you will need about $100 to $200 worth of electronics depending on quality level you want, and you'll need a radio, battery charger, batteries...

Here's some of my review videos...

The Blade Nano
Blade Nano CPX Consumer Review and Flight Test (12 min 33 sec)

The HK-450 Pro
HK-450 Pro GT Demo (4 min 22 sec)

#4 Hajile Feb 04, 2013 10:52 PM

A 450v2 flybarred frame + basic radio retailing for $750.00???

#5 jasmine2501 Feb 04, 2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajile (Post 24037492)
A 450v2 flybarred frame + basic radio retailing for $750.00???

No it's $247, but that's still a little steep for a cheapo radio and a clone of the old style Trex. I paid around $750 for my genuine Trex 450SA with top of the line electronics back in 2008, so yeah the ad is a little dishonest, that stuff isn't worth $750 so it's good they aren't charging that :)

Not to mention, does our OP even have the skills to fly one of these aerobatic beasts?

#6 Lentar Feb 04, 2013 11:36 PM

For $110, Skyartec Wasp Nano CP RTF (with fully programmable 100 mW transmitter, that can fly 400 size Ninja 400 helis, gliders and planes), for $64, Wasp Nano CP BNF.

So for $174, you can get two helicopters plus 1 transmitter, and still save money over the RTF Nano CPX.

Blade helis are excellent, no doubt, but overpriced, and there are lots of other choices available.

#7 HelloNello Feb 05, 2013 01:39 AM

Thanks for the info
Too scared to buy or fly a cp heli at this time just trying to understand what is good and not.

#8 easyrider604 Feb 11, 2013 03:09 AM

If I were to do it all over again, I'd go with Lentar's suggestion.

2 practically indestructible Skyartec Wasp Nano CP helis and 1 NASA701 transmitter for $174 is a great deal for a great starter kit.

As it stands, I got two Skyartec Wasp X3V RTFs. Spent 15 hours on the FMS simulator before gathering the courage for first RC heli flight. Very slow learning curve. 43 flights and can only hover tail in, but happy to get the training ping pong gear off after 30 batteries.

Learning to fly helis is much tougher than learning to fly fixed wingers. My brain is working 100% every flight. Have to admit this brain learning to fly helis is 45 years older than when it learned to fly fixed wing:)

I did crash one on flight #31 resulting in minor damage and a part I don't have needs to be ordered. Got away from me on my first outdoor flight due to very, very mild breeze and hit a chain link fence.

Correction, at this point, I'd still order the 2 Wasp Nano CPs and transmitter, hoping for a faster learning curve. The X3Vs will have a rest when the Nano CPs arrive. No complaints on the X3Vs. They are every bit as the manufacturer said....a total heli noob can fly it. They just don't have the crash survivability of the Nanos.