RC Groups

RC Groups
    Micro Helis
        Help! Nano CPX tail motor overheating

#1 tqb555 Feb 04, 2013 05:01 PM

Nano CPX tail motor overheating

After doing some 3D flying with my Nano CPX, the tail motor gets so hot that it will burn you if you touch it. Is this normal? Or do I need a new tail motor? i have had it since christmas and put about 20 - 30 batteries through it. It still works the way it should, just gets really hot.

#2 mono Feb 04, 2013 10:18 PM

If it's getting really hot, it won't stay working the way it should for long. Heat breaks down the enamel coating on the windings, so they begin to short and it's dead.
Are you sure the prop is not rubbing on the end of the motor? See how it feels turning it by finger, if it's sticky or grinding there is a problem.

#3 tqb555 Feb 04, 2013 10:36 PM

The prop is not rubbing on the motor and it spins smoothly. Tomorrow I will try running it for a few mins not doing any 3D and see if it gets hot.

#4 dasBlade300X Feb 05, 2013 08:31 AM

tqb.....
You might try a TINY drop of light oil (like CLP or TriFlow) on the shaft - front and rear "bearings"....see if that helps...
BTW...another Granite Stater here...just east of Concord.....:D

#5 tqb555 Feb 05, 2013 09:49 AM

How would I get to the rear bearing without taking the motor apart? And if it matters it still get hot even if i dont do any 3D.