RC Groups

RC Groups
    Composites Fabrication
        Build Log Parflyer built completely with Honeycomb under vacuum

#1 pirulin Feb 02, 2013 12:46 PM

Parflyer built completely with Honeycomb under vacuum

2 Attachment(s)
hello,

For those who want to test ...I put a lot of pics about the building process.
That's the build log i post here :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1790246

I do my best to explain it in English, ins't perfect but understandable (i hope),:o
I hope you'll enjoy it,
Best regards,

#2 Shedofdread Feb 03, 2013 01:11 PM

Beautiful work! :) And as for your English, it's a LOT better than my French...

#3 wyowindworks Feb 03, 2013 03:14 PM

Very nicely done! What was the final weight of just the airframe?

#4 pirulin Feb 04, 2013 12:23 PM

Shedofdread :
Thank you for my English, but I'm sure there are many grammar mistakes and word errors, but if you can understand that’s the essential

Wyowindworks, your datas :

I prefer giving you detailed weights because of my errors in the final achievement and reinforcements choosen:o.

Weigths of the frame’s sandwich skins without before assembly (not glued half shells and accessories):

Wing 31.5gr
Fuselage and tail: 19.8 gr
Horizontal elevator : 6.3 gr

Frame Elements finished :

Wing (included former, spar, horns, ball joints, steel linkages and servo mount without servo): 44.3 gr
Fuselage, including bulkhead, rods linkage, ball joints horns, various reinforcements and battery mount (without geared motor and electronics and servos) : 39.9 gr
Elevator with hinge and clevis: 6.6 gr

So a total weigth frame : 90.8 gr.

I think we can do even more lighter, we can save at least 10 grams!...
As many of us, I always tend to put too much resin with micro balloons when I glued the half-shells (I like to do sturdy ... but at this scale each gram is really important), except for motor bulkhead, the formers are too heavy and strong. As regards the wing, I make same error as the fuselage, I put too much resin and micro balloons. Because the skins are really strong, the wing spar isn’t indispensable, on my next models I’ll replace it by studs which ensure the bottom and top surfaces linkage.

Per dmē this layup (Kevlar 36gr/mē + glass 25gr/mē+honeycomb 1.5mm+glass 25gr/mē gives :

Weight calculated to obtain an estimate before implementation: 2, 2 gr / dmē
Weight achieved with flat test specimen: 3,03 gr /dmē

Weight below are "out of the mold (per dmē)" the halfs parts achieved depending on the complexity of the shape:
For the wing: ~ 3.15 gr/dmē
For the fuselage: ~3.98 gr/dmē
For the elevator: ~ 2.86 gr /dmē

Reading that, you can deduct that the more the shape is complex the harder is to obtain a light frame weigth…

Regards,

#5 eRaptor Feb 11, 2013 07:34 PM

Wow.

That air frame is a work of art. :)

And, I learned something about the use of plasticine. Thanks for sharing your build.

#6 pirulin Feb 12, 2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eRaptor (Post 24107094)
Wow.

That air frame is a work of art. :)

And, I learned something about the use of plasticine. Thanks for sharing your build.

Thanks a lot, it was a pleasure to share .:)
Have good flights and fun