RC Groups

RC Groups
    Fuel Plane Talk
        Help! Ahh!!!! So scared!!!!

#1 Rcflyyer1 Feb 01, 2013 07:39 PM

Ahh!!!! So scared!!!!

While you enjoy the evening show.. I'm going CRAZY OUT OF MY MIND!! :p I have to maiden the Hangar 9 P-47 60 tomorrow (ASP FS91AR Installed) and I am really scared to fly it since it is so beautiful (it is my first warbird). Anything to help calm me down? :eek: I am worried about a few things like I cut into the wood a little bit when I cut the covering off but will fill the line with 30 minute epoxy. Other than that, can someone provide a list of things I should check in order to ensure a safe maiden? Your help is greatly appreciated :o

#2 1320fastback Feb 01, 2013 07:52 PM

Triple check CG and all controls for proper movement.
Engine idles reliably?
Wheel collars are secure.
All control horns secure and properly mounted.
Battery load checked.
Fuel system plumbing is correct.
(Saw a respected pilot think he filled his tank but only put a little fuel in and had a engine die just as plane took off).

Above all else..... Don't be nervous! Have fun!

#3 jetmech05 Feb 01, 2013 07:54 PM

First time I flew that airplane it was a dead stick...I was standing next to a friend and when it died he stuck the transmitter in my gut and said here...Got it down ok....You'll be fine...have someone that flies alot stand out there with you

#4 KCinNC Feb 01, 2013 08:04 PM

rule #1...don't load up on coffee (caffeine) before that first flight :eek:

well...that's my first rule :rolleyes:

enjoy it man

#5 Kyler1 Feb 01, 2013 08:04 PM

Being nervous is like the worst thing you can do, when I fly a new plane my knees shake so bad and I just about topple over. Just keep your speed up when you come in to land so you don't endup stalling it out, you'll be just fine.

#6 Rcflyyer1 Feb 01, 2013 09:16 PM

I used up all of my lead weights. Is it possible to use big screws to add weight?

#7 Rcflyyer1 Feb 01, 2013 09:19 PM

Well ends up I bought CHASIS WEIGHTS!! (Revell) Only 1.8 oz per package. I thought it was 6 oz per package like the great planes ones... UGHH

#8 1320fastback Feb 01, 2013 09:39 PM

Weight is weight.
Use whatever you have to as long as it is secured.

In the last I've used screws, washers, dead AA batteries, ect.
Not in my nice planes but if its hidden and it works.

#9 kenh3497 Feb 01, 2013 09:54 PM

Put on a flight or two of one of your other planes first. Preferably of one you are VERY comfortable with.

DO NOT get in a hurry.

If ANYTHING is not right with the plane do not fly!!!

Fire the engine and let it warm up, then shut it down and walk away for 5 minutes.

After you have calmed down for five minutes, go back and fire the engine again and taxi up and down the field a couple of times to get used to the ground handling. Is everything OK? If yes, taxi back and shut the engine down and relax for a bit.

After you have calmed down again, go back and refire the engine and have a respected pilot be a spotter for you. Go back out and make your flight.

If at any time something is not right, call it quits for the day, even if it is only to change a glow plug. The key is to not have any worries about how the engine and airframe will perform.

Read and listen to the advice in the other posts in this thread.

GOOD LUCK on your day tomorrow:cool:

Ken

PS.... I hate you 'cause you get to fly tomorrow and I get to scoop snow;):p:D:D:D

#10 Zor Feb 01, 2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetmech05 (Post 24006036)

First time I flew that airplane it was a dead stick...I was standing next to a friend and when it died he stuck the transmitter in my gut and said here...Got it down ok....You'll be fine...have someone that flies alot stand out there with you

Agreeing with jetmech05/

Better yet use a training link between your Tx and an experienced buddy. When you do not need your buddy your knees or nervousness will be gone.

I hope your model is well glued and strongly covered in case of a badluck . It often is as enjoyable to make a repair as the original build.

Zor

#11 rmsingh Feb 02, 2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rcflyyer1 (Post 24005889)
Anything to help calm me down? :o

A shot of Cognac and light up a Cohiba, then go fly:D

#12 Fokker DII Feb 02, 2013 06:53 PM

Well?
How did it go? I'm pretty sure that you did fine. Nerves before a maiden are normal, but when the action starts we run on adrenalin until the landing roll stops.:D

#13 Craig Downer Feb 02, 2013 08:44 PM

Get really drunk.

#14 scootrb4 Feb 03, 2013 05:23 PM

Well ???? Howd it go?
You left us hangin' man!

#15 Rcflyyer1 Feb 03, 2013 06:02 PM

Sorry. Didn't fly it it ends up I bought chassis weights and I didn't have any lead weights on me so today I glassed the inside of the cowling with lead and it is now balanced correctly. SORRY to leave you guys wondering but I will maiden it next Saturday. Also the weather was horrible today! 14 mph crosswind, not flying it in that weather.. But thanks for the tips, I enjoyed reading some of them :D :D :D :D :D :D