RC Groups

RC Groups
    RC Kites
        Discussion Delta Kite on a Trike Question

#1 Aeronut41 Feb 01, 2013 11:25 AM

Delta Kite on a Trike Question

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I have a 7" delta rogallo wing type kite that I want to use on a simple trike setup similiar to what the guys were doing with the Harbor Freight kites a while back. I have sort of worked out the trike part and plan to use the aluminum channel for the frame. I am wondering if a simple vector steering mount on the motor would have enough authority to steer it or whether the string reverse elevon type arrangement would be better.. The pusher motor of course will be closer to the CL/CG than when mounted as a tractor. Any thoughts on this matter? Thanks, Aero

#2 ritchie_laird Feb 02, 2013 04:33 PM

I have done this, I made a simple trike of Balsa and Carbon Tubing.
steering I used a single servo attached between the wing and the trike which moved the center of balance and the kite banks. for the take off and landing or climbing I used the power of the motor to do that. more thrust and you climb, less thrust and you glide down.
hope this helps.
Ritchie

#3 Aeronut41 Feb 02, 2013 07:00 PM

Thanks for the comments Ritchie, Keeping the trike simple sounds like the way to go! Best, Aero

#4 ritchie_laird Feb 02, 2013 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeronut41 (Post 24014941)
Thanks for the comments Ritchie, Keeping the trike simple sounds like the way to go! Best, Aero

your welcome buddy, no point reinventing the wheel till you want to refine it for your purposes.
good luck with it, and put up a video when your in the air with it.

#5 Aeronut41 Feb 09, 2013 08:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Making some progress and have the basic gondola parts mostly finished. Lots of power with a 12/6 prop! Best, Aero

#6 ritchie_laird Feb 09, 2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aeronut41 (Post 24086759)
Making some progress and have the basic gondola parts mostly finished. Lots of power with a 12/6 prop! Best, Aero

looking good, its coming along fine. i still have not put the steerable nose wheel on mine as yet. don't forget, when I first put a delta on mine I used the centre of gravity and it did not work, I had to find the centre of lift which I did by holding to the wind and moving my fingers along till the wind held it right. used this as the pivot point.

#7 Aeronut41 Feb 10, 2013 04:20 AM

Thanks for the tip! I'll find the CL on mine that way. Best, Aero

#8 Aeronut41 Feb 27, 2013 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, The trike is ready for a little test lift off to see if everything is ok but the weather sure won't cooperate! My pilot is getting itchy or maybe scared :) Best, Aero

#9 Paulnuneaton Feb 27, 2013 11:22 PM

Heres a pic of my home made trike and it flew wicked after i upped the prop hope you guys like it
http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...11232432_o.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/u...n/DSC03487.jpg