RC Groups

RC Groups
    Fuel Plane Talk
        Question Engine Fit Question

#1 Chophop Jan 31, 2013 07:44 AM

Engine Fit Question

Is there a list of planes the RCGF 15cc will fit entirely in the cowl of and power it for at least a slow unlimited vertical ? I assume it is an attempt at replacing a 60 glow engine.
RCGF 15cc vs NGH9 comments wanted also.

#2 wuest3141 Jan 31, 2013 03:32 PM

The RCGF 20cc directions suggest that air exits to the cowl should be 3 times the size of the intake hole. What I am saying is that you need exit vents, whether or not the engine sticks outside the cowl.

If the engine is completely inside the cowling, it may overheat badly.

#3 Thermalin Jan 31, 2013 04:33 PM

Slow unlimited vertical? would come down to power to weight ration.

#4 Chophop Jan 31, 2013 09:53 PM

That I already knew Thermalin. But thanks for the tip.

I'm looking for someone who has already done it. I may hop on down to the NGH9 but I have only seen it running wet and oily at the cylinder top .

#5 ChillPhatCat Feb 01, 2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thermalin (Post 23993871)
Slow unlimited vertical? would come down to power to weight ration.

Yup, it's best to use the weight up before the power. :p

#6 Chophop Feb 01, 2013 07:18 AM

What airplane can I use that this the motor fits in ? I see them with the motor sticking out and or no cowling. Maybe just stick with electrics then. I don't like such an investment in time and money looking like a rig.

#7 ChillPhatCat Feb 01, 2013 09:10 AM

Best bet is probably a .60 sized Sukhoi or Yak, those big radial cowls usually cover most of the engine. You will need a hole for a glow ignitor, needle valve and exhaust pipe at the very least. Most of the other aerobatic planes, Extra, Edge, Cap etc have a wide cowl and the head will usually be close to flush with the cowl if mounted sideways. Most smaller planes, those under 1.20ci/20ccish size will have some part of the engine projecting through the cowl, it's just something you have to expect.

#8 Chophop Feb 01, 2013 10:22 AM

Yea, a YAK would fit me well, my old nickname was Motormouth. :D