RC Groups

RC Groups
    Scale Sailplanes
        Question What's a good radio for sailplanes?

#1 flying jeep Jan 30, 2013 07:24 PM

What's a good radio for sailplanes?

I have a large, 4m, sailplane that I'm about to build. It looks like the Spektrum DX6i I recently purchased does not have enough channel capasity for what I'm building. I'll have flaps, ailerons, rudder, elevator, and throttle. Yes, it's electro. But I thought I would spread this question around the other sailplane forums to see what turns up. As always, I'm shopping on a seriously tight budget. So tight, I may have to buy used and a piece at a time.

#2 tkallev Jan 31, 2013 07:30 AM

If you are serious about scale, the more channels the better.

JR: 9503 (9 ch), 11X (11 ch), 12X (12 ch)

Spectrum: DX8 (8 ch) or DX18 (18 ch although only the first 12 are proportional, the rest are for accessories)

You get the drift, Futaba has radios up to 18 channels, Airtronics and Hitec have 10 and 7 channel radios. Yes, you can do a lot with Y cords, but nothing makes programming easier than a servo/channel per surface.

I suggest you save your pennies and buy the best, highest capability radio you can.

#3 jcstalls Jan 31, 2013 11:43 AM

Dito

Plus, consider a good used JR XP9303 module based system. Being module based you can use nearly whatever system receivers you desire; DSM2, XPS, Assan, Flysky, Futaba and so on 2.4.

I have seen good used units here on RCG for around two bills.

http://www.google.com/search?q=XP930...=2133&bih=1078

Jared

#4 rc4fun Jan 31, 2013 12:25 PM

The new Jeti's look nice too.
http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-dupl...nly-radio.aspx
You can also use Match Box and other channel expanders but in the end it ends up costing about the same as a high end radio and the install is much more complex.
The Futaba S-bus can make installing lots of servos neater and easier.

#5 jimbo320 Jan 31, 2013 01:40 PM

8 ch is not enough channels. Get a 10/12 or 18.
Ail 1
Ail 2,
Flap 1,
Flap 2,
Air brake 1,
Air brake 2,
Rudder,
Elevator,
Tow release,
Gear,
Motor

There's 11 for a standard 4m such as an aSW 20. Go bigger and you could have another 4 for additional ailerons/flaps and 1 for redundant elevator.

#6 mario alvarez Jan 31, 2013 03:35 PM

Airtronics SD-10G. Can't say enough good things about it.

#7 cooper998 Jan 31, 2013 07:07 PM

Plenty of Futaba 9c radios out there at good used prices, some even with a 2.4 module. A great radio that also has specific sailplane programming.
You may also want to check out some of the other brands on 72 mhz, many have upgradable modules for 2.4 available

Tony

#8 dgliderguy Feb 01, 2013 01:17 AM

I might add that any radio with side sliders is a good idea for sailplanes-- especially powered sailplanes. I have a big motorglider with spoilers, and I use the throttle stick for engine throttling, and a side slider (JR9503 radio) for my spoilers. Without the slider, I would have to use a switch for spoilers (all up/ all down). That works, but not as well as proportional.

#9 Big Nuts 181 Feb 04, 2013 03:01 AM

Futaba 14MZ

#10 tkallev Feb 04, 2013 08:41 AM

I only use sliders until I have the camber amounts for the various flight modes ironed out, then disable them.

#11 Seadog Feb 04, 2013 10:02 AM

A Second Look?

Quote:

Originally Posted by flying jeep (Post 23984616)
I have a large, 4m, sailplane that I'm about to build. It looks like the Spektrum DX6i I recently purchased does not have enough channel capasity for what I'm building. I'll have flaps, ailerons, rudder, elevator, and throttle. Yes, it's electro. But I thought I would spread this question around the other sailplane forums to see what turns up. As always, I'm shopping on a seriously tight budget. So tight, I may have to buy used and a piece at a time.

So, back to the original question. There is no mention of "Scale"; in fact it sounds non-scale and as stated, just looking in various forums for ideas. There is also a mention of a "seriously tight budget".

Therefore, jumping in with "ya gotta have 8-10-12-14 channels (pick one) for your future scale happiness" (or words to that effect) isn't helping. The fact is, he can fly the electric sailplane with his 6 channel radio, with flaps on a y-lead with adjustment, controlled by a slider. Dgliderguy has it pegged.

Dave Smith

#12 Big Nuts 181 Feb 04, 2013 04:13 PM

Hitech Araura 9 might be the answer..... great value for money!

#13 bleker Feb 04, 2013 09:31 PM

Graupner MC 19 And newer

#14 tkallev Feb 05, 2013 12:55 AM

Since the question was posted in the Scale forum, assuming future scale planes is not unreasonable.

:eek:

#15 Highfly! Feb 05, 2013 01:02 AM

If you are looking for easy glider setup, radio range to no end, telemetry and great support you should seriously look at the Hitec Aurora A9. It is priced way below some of the mainstream brands and is a bargain in my opinion.