RC Groups

RC Groups
    Automobiles
        Question Choosing a servo

#1 pyrohaz Jan 29, 2013 06:39 PM

Choosing a servo

Hey, I'd like help in knowing what "strength" servo i'll require for a task. I need a servo that will be able to pull the disc brake cable of an electric scooter. I have a servo with a stall torque of 1.5kg/cm at 4.8v. I will be running the system at 5vv.

Will this be sufficient? Or how will I go around choosing a sufficient servo?

Thanks, Harris

#2 Roto Rob Feb 01, 2013 07:45 PM

5 watts is not much. You will probably need a lever, or gearing to keep the amp draw down. To really figure it you need to know how much force it takes to pull the cable, how far, and how fast the cable needs pulled.

#3 Umang Kumar Mar 01, 2013 08:35 PM

Hello Friends,

Servo choices are central to any thought about linkages. I was told once that you can never have enough servo for the job. Many factors play a role in servo selection.
Speed is good, but more critical for us in pattern modeling are power (torque) and centering or precision. Many of the servos on the market today have plenty of power, but their centering leaves something to be desired. Digital servos are best at centering, as a general rule. However, some brands just don’t center as well as others.

Thanks and Regards,
Umang Kumar

#4 Roto Rob Mar 02, 2013 07:27 PM

If you only need to apply the brakes once, you could use the servo to pull a pin, to release a spring. The spring applies the brakes.

#5 Aaron 1 Mar 13, 2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roto Rob (Post 24303271)
If you only need to apply the brakes once, you could use the servo to pull a pin, to release a spring. The spring applies the brakes.

That's an air brake thingey and a reverse wheelie on a scooter. That would go viral on You tube with blood and all.