RC Groups

RC Groups
    Fuel Plane Talk
        Question Telemaster 150 build

#1 Hellcat 113 Jan 27, 2013 08:43 PM

Telemaster 150 build
 
I'm building a Telemaster 150. I'm going to build in a drop box for very small items(4-5 lbs). The plane weight shoul be about 17 to 18 lbs per the instructions. So all-up weight about 23 +- lbs. What are your thoughts on the engine to use? I have a Saito 180 and a Moki 140 available. I like the sound of Saito, but will it drag that much weight into the air? Thanks...........

#2 chemnut842 Jan 29, 2013 03:22 PM

Oh yeah! Sure it will haul the 180. Just for kicks I stuck a DLE20 in my 8ft telemaster. It weighs about 850-900 grams after ignition battery which is pretty close to the mass of your saito180.

It had absolutely no trouble taking-off and flying. Landings were slow and easy too - and that plane did not have flaps...

Later I converted it to a twin with 2X 40 LA's and it flew fine with that and 2X 1L fuel tanks full of methanol (again - just for kicks). So that was ~ 1.6 kg of fuel and another 500 grams of motor. This setup was easy to takeoff and fly but landings were a bit faster than I would like.

Later I cut the motors out and made a pod on top of the wing. I used a single 40LA with 1L of methanol in it. So that was about 1.1 kg of motor and fuel. It was really hard to get off the ground and flew OK. Landing was easy...

#3 terry noble Jan 30, 2013 04:37 AM

Telemaster kit
 
Hi,

Are you still building this kit? If so, would you consider allowing me to have a copy of the instruction book? The kit I have did not come with one, only the plans.
I will be happy to pay you for your efforts...:)

Thanks

#4 Hellcat 113 Jan 30, 2013 09:39 PM

Thanks for the input. I have this started and so far it seems to be very light for the size. I'm going to use the Saito 180 unless I find a great deal on a 200 at the remaining swap meets in my area.

#5 SrTelemaster Jan 31, 2013 06:46 PM

Nerver heard of a Telemaster 150. Are you talking about the 95" Sr Telemaster of the 12" Giant Telemaster?

#6 MichaUT Jan 31, 2013 08:33 PM

I have a set of plans for a 150, I believe it refers to 150% size of the original Telemaster 8 footer.
It would be the predecessor to the more commonly know 12 foot or Giant Telemaster.
If i can find a Telemaster history reference I'll post a link.

#7 terry noble Feb 04, 2013 03:49 PM

The Telemaster 150 has a WS of 12' 6"... It is not the 12' kit that Hobby Lobby sold...:) Finding the instructions for this kit is proving to be a challenge...:)

SB

#8 Hellcat 113 Feb 06, 2013 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terry noble (Post 24033404)
The Telemaster 150 has a WS of 12' 6"... It is not the 12' kit that Hobby Lobby sold...:) Finding the instructions for this kit is proving to be a challenge...:)

SB

Hobby Lobby still has the instruction book. Give them a call and be sure to mention you need the 150 book........Hellcat 113

#9 Hellcat 113 Feb 06, 2013 06:41 AM

The 150 refers to it's wing span, 150 inches, 12ft 6 in......Hellcat 113

#10 SrTelemaster Feb 06, 2013 07:05 AM

The reason i was so curious about the telemaster 150 title is that, on RCU, my username is SrTelemaster150.

My "trainer" when I staed in R/C was a Hobby Lobby Sr Telemaster ARF W/a Saito FA150 for motive effort. hence, the SrTelemaster username. Unfortunately this site does not allow enough characters for that username, but for some reason, SrTelemaster was not being used. (not the case @ any other R/C forums)

It was quite the performer & a very good trainer. I soloed W/O a buddy cord W/O crashing.

As the plane suffered the enevitable bumps & bruises, I modified it by reducing wind incidence/dihedrel & added wing struts.

It would do straight up knife edge W/ full cross control of ailerons/rudder & by releasing the ailerons, the roll coupling of the rudder would roll the plane out to level flight.

#11 terry noble Feb 07, 2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hellcat 113 (Post 24049739)
Hobby Lobby still has the instruction book. Give them a call and be sure to mention you need the 150 book........Hellcat 113

Thank you very much. I will give them a call, cuz I'm not getting anywhere fast without the instructions...:)

SB

#12 Treeline Jul 02, 2013 11:32 AM

I thought I might revive this thread to see how the OP project came along because I found an old shipping tube, tucked among all the plans I have, that contained the plans and instructions for the Telemaster 150, so I started doing some searching here in RCG to see "what's up" with this old design and stumbled upon this thread.
It's quite a monster, and I do like the Telemasters, especially nowadays when it would make a great camera platform for a UAV ship.

I noted that the name of Howard Chevalier was on the shipping tube, so it's possible that he might be the designer.
I still have an old copy of his model aircraft design book ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006F273W ), and I use it for reference quite often when I'm designing from scratch myself in Rhino. He's gone now, but he was a good writer and made model aircraft design easy to understand.

I think I might build it sometime next Spring and hang an old reliable Quadra 42 on it that I have in storage.

#13 goober Nov 14, 2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Treeline (Post 25463493)
I thought I might revive this thread to see how the OP project came along because I found an old shipping tube, tucked among all the plans I have, that contained the plans and instructions for the Telemaster 150, so I started doing some searching here in RCG to see "what's up" with this old design and stumbled upon this thread.
It's quite a monster, and I do like the Telemasters, especially nowadays when it would make a great camera platform for a UAV ship.

I noted that the name of Howard Chevalier was on the shipping tube, so it's possible that he might be the designer.
I still have an old copy of his model aircraft design book ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0006F273W ), and I use it for reference quite often when I'm designing from scratch myself in Rhino. He's gone now, but he was a good writer and made model aircraft design easy to understand.

I think I might build it sometime next Spring and hang an old reliable Quadra 42 on it that I have in storage.

whould you be willing to make me a copy of the telemaster 150 plans? would gladly pay for them and your time, I have the ribs ready and found out the ribs are for the 150, so now i need plans for the 150,
Thanks

#14 goober Nov 16, 2013 09:03 AM

hey , I have bought a set of laser cut ribs for the 12 ft telemaster, now I need a set of plans for the telemaster 150, my plans are WRONG, I now realize there were several different 12 ft telemasters over the years. anyone out there have a copy of the telemaster 150 they would sell me??

#15 Treeline Nov 16, 2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goober (Post 26650713)
hey , I have bought a set of laser cut ribs for the 12 ft telemaster, now I need a set of plans for the telemaster 150, my plans are WRONG, I now realize there were several different 12 ft telemasters over the years. anyone out there have a copy of the telemaster 150 they would sell me??

I wish I could help, but I'm really really busy at work coming up to Christmas, and as overworked and stressed out as I am, I'm just not going to put another "to do" on my list at this time.
After Christmas, I might be prone to help, but these plans are old (as any would be by now), and I'm concerned how well they would get through a large sheet fed scanner without self-destructing.

Later on this summer, I might be willing to help, but again, I'm concerned that the aging plans I have might not make it through a sheet fed scanner. Let me think on that.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 PM.